Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electrical problem. Again.

Simplicity314

The saga continues, and it's getting really tired. I installed a new ignition coil on my '64 landlord 314 w/ 23D converted to battery ignition, and when I hit the starter, there was a puff of smoke and oil coming from the coil. great. It did run for a while before it quit. Rechecked wiring..all nice and tight and the polarity is correct (neg. going to points). I cleaned all the grounds for good contact. Is it possible the coil was no good from the start, or could there be another issue I'm overlooking? I'd like to know before I spend another $30 on a coil and literally watch it go up in smoke. There's no returns on these things. This heap has been nothing but trouble since I got it and I'm about to put it in the classifieds. Thanks in advance for any help.

Some coils work with 12 Volts DC and some need to have an external resistor to bring the voltage down to 9 volts DC. If that's the case and you put 12 volts to it that's why it burned up. Good Luck...

Oil coming from the coil is definitely not good. I would suspect the coil. I belive the only thing the resister (internal or external) does is reduce point wear, so I can't see where you could have it wired wrong. (BTW I have one that the coil was wired with the + side to the points - worked fine either way). ANY auto type 12v coil should work for you - if doesn't have an internal resister you can always add an external one. I'll have to look around for the number, but I got a new one from NAPA for around $10.00. Good luck.

Jim, come on out one day and we can give it a shot. We still have to fit up our plow and do the welding, right?

Right, kirk, though it won't do any good without spark! I IM'd you back about a time to come up last time, and didn'get a response. I figured you were dealing with your father so I left it alone. How's he doing? Fine, I hope. Let me know when it's good for you again and I'll pick up another coil. I'd really appreciate it Kirk. --Jim