Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Counter-Weight Counter-Productive

jrichason

Good Afternoon, I attached the snow blower to the 7116 this afternoon. I've never attached it before and am pretty pleased with everything. The only question I have is about the counter-weight. When I bought my tractor, it came with one of those that look like a short pole with a donut weight on it. I put it in the rear hitch and instead of helping lift the blower it actually makes it harder because I have to lift the weight and the blower. What am I doing wrong? Thank you, John PS - As I was writing this I looked out the window and see that it's starting to snow. Timing is everything!

Problem is probably as you raise blower you are raising weight. Counter weight works when you raise blower and weight in back goes down. Don'y you have hydro lift?

You may be able to switch the cable around underneith on the lift arm rod and make it help you lift some model you can do this with..

Have never seen a real one, so I don't retain everthing I read about them here, but seems the new RBT's lift works off a cable to the back and does not give the counter wt affect like the good ole FDT's did. Sure hope I'll becorrected if wrong.

My 700 / 7000 series RBTs all have the cable to the rear lift, but the problem is that the rear lift 'lifts' when the front lift does. (They both go up or down at the same time). The cable to the rear lift would still be OK, as far as the counter weight working, if they worked in opposite directions. My old landlord FDT works the opposite (as rear lift goes up, front goes down) and so a counter weight works great on it. I don't know if the cable could be reworked like Bunky suggested - never thought of looking at that!

I have posted an explanation and pics of this before. On the 3300 and earlier tractors, the front and rear lifts are counter-acting from the factory. Starting with the 3400 series, the cable will have to be rerouted in order to have the counter acting effect for front and rear lifts. The Center lift also depends on which side of the line the tractor is on. For 3300, the center will lower as the front raises. From the 3400 on out it acts in tandem with the front. Do a search and you'll get more information.

Thanks for the explanation guys. That's a bummer. Anybody want to buy a counter weight :-). Yeah, I tried searching but it's hard to know what to search for and if you haven't already read the posts before it's pretty tough to tell by the titles which ones are relavent. Thanks again for the info.

John, Don't give up on your idea of using the counter weight. Get under your tractor and find a way to disconnect the rear-lift from the lift mechanism. Then reconnect it so that it works opposite of before and gives you what you want. For some good ideas, check the documentation for the tractors that did it the other way. Use them as a guide to modify your tractor so it works like they did. Make the changes neatly...don't want to offend any show-tractor purists. :) Once you do this, then you can also put a tiller on the back, and the counter weight on the front... See, one fix and you may solve multiple problems. It's just a machine, make it give you what you want. :) /r David

See this link: http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=23926&SearchTerms=cable,counter,weight

In order to get counter weight effect (front up rear down, front down rear up) on Late model 7000/7100/soveriegn series Simplicity and 700/900 series Allis Chalmers with the cable rear lift install the rear lift cable as per Page 1 step 9 fig. 4 for the 38"HD tiller and note on Page 2 Page 1_________________________________________________________________________

Page 2_________________________________________________________________________

I switched the cable around and it works like a charm. Thanks a bunch for posting the picture, Maynard. I'm thinking we'll probably go another month or so without much snow in WI now that I have the blower all ready. That is unless my wife washes her car or something. Thanks again for the help. Take care, John

No problem. Thanks for making the effort to drive all that way to get it. I'm glad somebody will get some use out of it. I hated the thought of putting it out for recycling, but I didn't think I'd ever use it and I need to get my shop organized (you saw the problem :-)). I had my tractors in storage for about a year and a half when I moved from MN back to WI. It's nice to have the 7116 back to tinker with. This may be the first year I'm actually looking forward to getting some snow. Good luck with the tiller. John