Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Muffler improvement for the 300-400 series

KSever

After looking at the burn mark on my frame of the 314 (as you can see below). I decided that the muffler tailpipe had to have an extension made for it, found some 1 1/4" heavy electrical conduit scrap I had here and it slid right on Very tight. I was able to weld a bead on this conduit with the mig welder to the end of the muffler and it looks as though it's still a one piece tailpipe but extended about 2 1/2" out, just enough to get it away from the frame/hood plus it might help keep the fumes from getting in the cab as much.

And with the new extension

Kris to get some life out of your installation, make sure your silencer is anchored to the engine and not any part of the tractor. It looks neat.

I was thinking of doing something like that with my 3410 as there is something too short or out of line and it sound terrible None of my other RBT's have sounded like this But my problem is it can't really be extended because it has to go through the hole in my hood...

I was going to make this extension a 45 and turn it down at the point it's at now to exit the exhaust down and out just in front of the runningboard, I may play with this again tomorrow. This may help quiet down the noise a little more. John, As far as I can tell with the cab on it didn't help with noise but it's only about 2 1/2" longer. Bob, Thanks for the advise on the mounting. I still have to make a bracket for a support since this muffler wasn't made for this tractor, I just have to find a good spot on the engine to bolt it to. I'm not too comfortable mounting it on a head bolt.

Kris there is nothing wrong in using a head bolt for steady. For support you have a 7/16 or 1/2 bolt avaiable to you from your clutch that you can fashion a bracket and make a clamp to hold and steady the outlet end of muffler.

Kris, I would think you'd get a better quieting effect if you pointed the exhaut towards the front instead of back under your feet