Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Landlord Hood Modification/ 725 lights added

MPH

Guess I gotta call it a Hack job, since I used a hack saw, and the results are not OEM. As one side of the front mounting bar broke off some time last summer and the hoods been shaking around in front of me, I decided to fix it lawst nite.

Never understood why Simplicity gave up the 725 style hood system on the Landlord, sooo I made a pair of hinges. I Taped a hole for a 3/8's bolt, then welded it and ground it smooth.

Hood in open position

It will open too wide if not careful, just like the 725 does.

Hood closed, tighten rear bolts and ready to go

Only problem I can forsee is where the upper grill wraps around and has the two sheetmetal screws. One side of mine was MIA the other broken at the bend so I just removed it. Now to find a couple lights and I'll mount them like they are on my 725. Here is the way my 725 lights are mounted. Must confess, not my creation, it came this way, but I like the system enough to copy it. The mounting bolt is 3/8's with a hole through it for the wire. Hope the Guide looking lights I saw in Fairbanks awhile back have this system also.

MPH, can you put longer piece of flat on the 2 hinge's so the hood comes down lower when folded over? If I see how it clears correctly from the pics it should place the hood lower when opened chocking the hood better so it doesn't cram the grill as hard. Then maybe put some rubber bump stops under the hood where they won't be seen and you'd be good to go.

Inorder to use longer straps Dave I would have to drill new holes in the hood. Hate to do that cuz this way it can be returned to OEM by welding the brackets back on if someone should so desire . As for stops, if I see a need for them I may put a bolt on each side for the hinge strap to rest on when closed.

What a great idea. Mine is not broken like yours, but it just has a threaded rod laying across the supports, so the hood rattles alot and the noise drives me crazy. seeing this gives me the incentive to do SOMETHING with it. Thanks John

What Great modification Marty, It looks good and works great too I see. I thought of that a while back since I take the hood off everytime I refill the gas. This way I don't drip gas on my new paint (but too late now). I didn't know how I was going to do it, then decided I couldn't cut on the Landlord after I put all that work into it. Must be alot of snow up there if your working in the shop. What else you been modifying? I know you have something.

Not all that much snow Kris, but with the wind that was blown yesterday, 2 hours of plowing the drifts was enough for me. Kinda blew it today, I should have went out and finished when the wind died down about 11am and it still up to zero. I knew it would drop after 2 days of a N.W.ern, last I looked it was down to -30. Must be the B-112's turn for some badly needed TLC. Not sure if a guy could do this without cutting the ears off or not, didn't think on too hard as I was minus one anyway. But, a Dewalt with a metal blade makes quick work outta removal. The upper grill sides I think one could leave alone by putting a washer over them so the hinge could pivot freely. I too hate filling with gas with the hood closed, thinking I need a gas barrel with a hose like we had for farm tractors.

Roy, I had never seen an OEM mounting on one of these. MPH, Looks like your bulbs are off by 90 degrees. If you remove them and turn them (most lights have notches for either mounting of the bulb) you will probably get a better spread of the light. Just a suggestion. Thanks for the picture. I may try that on my 61 Wards. I have the lights. Just have to see if they would interfere with my vertical exhaust. May need a little modification.

Marty, If there is a logo or any wording on the lens of the bulb, it should be sitting as you would normally read it. Most tractor lights or auto fog lamps make a wide flat beam. When they are turned 90 degrees, much of the light shoots up into the air and down into the ground and the lighted area is not as wide as it is when properly oriented. I think you will see some difference, of course I have been wrong before.