Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Movement of Shuttle system on 410S

babbsrw

I have a Allis 410S and took off the rear sheet metal to make repairs to the metal just in front of the seat. When driving the tractor with a clear view of the shuttle system/rear axle I noticed that the shuttle system moves about 3/8 of an inch when changing from forward to reverse. Is this normal, or is there something worn out that needs to be replaced. I'm wondering if this is causing some of the jerkyness while driving the tractor when I move the shuttle from neutral to forward or reverse. Thanks for feedback. Rich

I have one that will do that also, I found the frame bolts loose and tightened them and stopped it for a while, now loose again so use lock tight or check for ware in frame.

• 4 weeks later...
Ok, finally had time to take a look. Found several bolts loose between rear frame and transmission housing, with bottom left bolt broken off. And of couse when I removed the left frame to get at the broken bolt, another bolt broke off. So after 3 hours of pulling/torching/hammering the left wheel hub and redrilling/tapping the two bad holes it is back together. After readjusting the belts, the movement is gone and the smoothness of the shuttle system is back. No more bucking bronco. Send the snow on down to Maryland. I did see wear in the after top frame holes where the rear hitch attaches. Not sure if this is part of the design (no paint worn off) or from 25 years of tiller use by my dad. Anyway, I won't be using the tiller much so maybe it won't come loose again. After I get the frame reattached, I'll lock-tite the bolts.