Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fall Acquisitions

PatRarick

A friend pulled in with this on his trailer, minus the steering sector and rear wheels.

The story behind it was that it dropped a valve seat and the owner had installed a new head. After only three or four hours of use, the seat dropped out of the new head. He was so disgusted that he traded it in at the local Agco dealer, who used the steering sector and rear wheels to repair another machine. Also on the trailer was a Big Ten, minus the hood and grill. Had a real nice "reverse" dent in the driveshaft tunnel from when the driveshaft let go. There was a newer 16 horse briggs in that. My buddy said, $100 for the pair. No problem there. They found a home. I just happened to have an extra set of wheels and a steering sector lying around, and I could replace the "bad" K-361 with the 16 horse briggs from the Big Ten. While preparing to remove the engine from the 7018, I thought I'd pull the head, just for the heck of it. I didn't get that far. After removing the valve cover, I found that there was NO valve clearance. The previous owner apparently didn't tighten the locknuts when he adjusted the valves on the new head. The adjustment screws had tightened up, holding the valves open. I adjusted the valve, charged the battery, drained the old fuel and added fresh, and I had a running tractor. Talk about a BEAST. I've never seen a K-361 before, and I was simply amazed at the power and torque of that machine. A new seat and paint job are in order this winter. As to the Big Ten, it's now in various parts bins in my storage shed. I pulled the head on the 16 horse briggs to check the condition of that engine, and it's just like new. Hash marks in the cylinder just like the day it left the factory, but it did need paint. It was from a Mayrath grain auger and was an aqua color. I replaced the points, cleaned the carb, painted it satin black and placed it on the shelf. Two weeks later, I got a call from a guy about 70 miles away. $250 and an three hours later, I came home with a "home" for the 16 horse Briggs.

A 917 with blown engine. Hydraulic lift, cab, 42" snowblower and 48" deck. The blades were worn out and there's a bearing out of the deck, but a new set of blades and 6 new bearings were part of the deal. I went through my old blower last year, new bearings, chain, and replaced the auger tube, so I kept that and sold the blower that came with this tractor. Now I need to come across a 900/7100 series single cylinder muffler. The standard Briggs muffler really echoes back into the cab. I've had an excellent run of luck this year, starting on Easter weekend. $300 for a late B-10 with hi-low, newer 12 horse engine, 36" snowblower, 32" tiller, 42" mower deck, wheel weights, tire chains, an extra set of rear wheels with ag tires, and a wheel horse grader blade that had been converted to a rear mount to fit the B-10. Next purchase was $300 for a Homelite T-10, and a B-12. The Homelite was in good operating condition, but the B-12 had broken an axle tube at one time. It was repaired, but very awkwardly. I was going to part it out this winter. Next was $100 for the 7018 and Big Ten. Finally was the $250 for the 917. Total spent for all, is $850. I cut the mounts off of the Wheel Horse grader blade and got $178 for that on e-bay. Sold the extra snowblower I got with the 917 for $150. Needed to buy one battery, so my total outlay for all these tractors and attachments is now at $550. Here's everything, prior to the purchase of the 917, as I was preparing to put things into winter storage.

Any bets as to how long this kind of luck can hold out? I've got dibs on saying it's over!

WOW Pat!! What a run of good fortune, you should have bought a lottery ticket in there somewhere. I hope it holds out for you, that's a great looking fleet of tractors.

Are you sure your not related to Monty Hall of "Let's make a deal" fame? Good going on all those deals and hope your luck continues and a little of it comes my way!

Another WOW. Great looking fleet and great scores this year. Amazing what some people throw away. Unforturnately, I believe when the current generation of tractors are trashed, there won't be much worth saving because the newer tractors aren't built as heavy/strong - and a little improper or no maintenance can really tear up aluminium.

Very nice lineup there Pat, And at the right prices too:D Glad to see that they all found a good home and I'm glad to see you back posting ^

That is a nice line up of tractors.;) All these tractors in one year.;);) I have bought 5 Allis Chalmers,Simplicity in one year.:) Karl

Thanks, guys. Karl, and anyone else who may have misunderstood, I didn't get all of those in one year. Those are all of my tractors (less my B-1) that I was putting into winter storage. The ones I got this year are the 7018 (second from the right), the Homelite (fourth from the right), the B-10 and B-12 (second and third from the left), and the 917 with cab in the photo above.