Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

rear wheel removal

Simplicity314

Hi..I'm trying to remove one of the rear wheels from my 6008--they're the sleeve type that fit over the axle and held on with a single pin through both the wheel and the axle. I removed the pin. I soaked it wih penetrating oil most of day yesterday and overnight, and today I've been putting lots of heat on it (swirling propane) and soaking it some more. I've been trying to persuade it with a plastic mallet. It won't budge. Anyone have any tips? Thanks again in advance. --Jim

Those must be a bear, seems like about once a month someone here is fighting with one. Good size hub/pulley puller along with heat and Kroil and a hammer have been reported to make 'em surender.

Ok...Don't have a pulley puller that big, so I'll stick with the hammer/oil/heat methodology.Thanks Maynard.

Why not try letting the tractor do most of the work? You've soaked it and pulled the pins now crank the tractor and drive it, shifting from forward to reverse a few times to see if that will break it loose. Someone else in the club (can't remember who it was) has used that method and said it worked very well.

(wasn't me) but thats how I did one, soaked it good for a couple days, pulled the pin and mowed the grass till it let go. I didn't want to put too much heat on and damage a seal. I put anti-sieze on the shaft for next time.

Thanks everyone. I'll try driving it. I was conservative with the heat...didn't know what was where, like, as you said, a seal. --Jim

Be careful with heat on getting it off. I blew out a tire after getting it too warm. After that fiasco I turned up the heat more and it finally broke loose. The rim needed a sand blast and repaint. Now axles get attention once a year.

MY TWO CENTS: THE OLD "SLOW AND STEADY" METHOD": Soak it down with your favorite rust penetrator(mine is PB Blaster) and start tapping on the part with a hammer, repeat the spraying and let it sit for a couple of hours. Do this three times. Usually the part will come off.

These Can be a royal pain in the Butt.. I have had these where I have had to cut them off the axle.. I agree slow and steady method works the best...