Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
KVANDY12

B&S Motor

KVANDY12
I have b&s moter 7 or 8 HP 170702 type 0123-01 code 6703291 vert. shaft, about 1965 or 67. My problem is when it lays on the muffler sideleaning it has oil that comes out the muffler.any ideas what the cause is? Haven't started it yet, really don't know if it runs or not. Anyone know if it can be rebuilt, if it needs it? Ken

Simplicity314
You have a 1967 7 hp engine. Oil leaking out of the muffler is normal if the engine is tipped ion its side. Try to keep it upright so oil dosn't run into the cylinder. It can be rebuilt if it needs it, if there's enogh meat on the cylinder. Here is the link to your owner's manual. Click on the Illustrated Parts List document on the page. http://shop.briggsandstratton.com/BShopProductPage.asp?CatalogID=56B2B9A7-283C-11D4-8886-00B0D0203414&MECID=100&SessionID=43C7B3A0-6A44-4EB2-B2CC-23B437198A68&CategoryID=0&lrid=&ProductID=56B2BC0E-283C-11D4-8886-00B0D0203414# If you cant get there directly, go here : http://www.briggsandstratton.com/ Click on the black and red logo there, then "english", go to maintinance, and plug in your engine number.

KVANDY12
With all the motors I've messed with I didn't know it would leak iol if layed on its side.Its good to know that is not a problem. Thanks Jim. Now I'll try to start it and see if it run ok.

Simplicity314
If you messed with engines then you know the valves are next to the piston under the head. The oil runs down the cylinder and through the open valve. You may also have oil in your carb too. I usually put two cinder blocks next to each other and rest the base on the blocks so it's upright. When you start it, it is going to smoke b/c of the oil, so don't assume it's bad rings or valves until you run it for a bit and burn off the spilled oil. Then change your plug b/c it is going to foul! Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

dhardin
give the cyliber a 1/2 spin and you may close the exost valve and it will not run out. But will go in the carb unless the pistion is top dead center but you will still have a mess.