Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Member B-10 Traction Problem

lpcb10

My father in law gave me a B-10 with a snowthrower and mowerdeck. (I picked a winner for a wife) My driveway is 125' with 30' rise. The front tires lose traction and the tractor is difficult to control. I was thinking about having the tires filled for weight/traction any ideas.

Welcome to the club Larry. There have been a few discussions on this - I think both weight and tire type makes a difference. If you go to 'search the forums' under 'discussions' on the top of the page and search for 'steering in snow' you'll find some good info. (be sure to check 'archived posts' when you search). I'm sure others will offer more specific suggestions - good luck!

While loading the tires will help a little bit, it won't help a whole lot. The 4.00/4.80 x 8 front tires will only hold about 1 gallon, while 23 x 8.50 x 12 rears will hold about 6 gallons and 23 x 10.50 x 12 rears will hold about 8 gallons. Multiply this by the weight of the liquid (I use winter-mix windshield wiper fluid since it doesn't corrode like calcium chloride) and you'll see that you don't add much weight to the front... about 8 lbs per side. I've found the best traction in snow for front tires comes from either ag (lug) tires mounted reversed, or the tri-rib front tires like you see on farm tractors. [img]http://simpletractors.com/images/johnny_box/bucket_down_small.jpg[/img] The best traction for the rear comes with turf tires and 2-link chains, but they'll scuff your driveway when you spin -- which is almost inevitable using a snowplow blade. I like to use agressive lug (ag) tires on the back, loaded, with wheel weights. These will give good traction on everything BUT ice -- only chains work on ice!

I'd recommend tri-rib tires on the front, and some hang-on weights. You can hang much more weight on a bracket than you can get by filling the tires. I use tri-ribs and hang-on weights myself. I just keep adding weight till I get enough. I remove them when not needed so that the weight will not create undue wear on the bearings.

Also helps for steering if you raise the snowblower so it just hangs off the driveway, thus putting it's wt on your front tires. With manual lift, you can cut an extra slot for the lift to set in. Takes some figuring for the right spot.

Welcome to the club Larry!! Sounds like a pretty nice Father in Law. We are practicaly neighbors, :D I live on the east end of Grass Lake Road.