Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

yeoman 637 problem

temichels

Hello, I have been visiting this site for about a year now. I love it. My son and I enjoy looking at all the vintage simplicity photo's. About six month ago we purchased a yeoman 637. Our problem is that where the back of the machine meets the front of the machine does not pivot as it should (sorry about this discription, I have not been able to find information as to what this joint is called) causing it to ride stiff as a board. He is to light for it causing it to lose traction even in the smallest depressions in our yard and I cause the front of the tractor to raise up. Is there some why to loosen this section of the tractor. Thanks for any input. And thanks for this site! Tim and Chris

welcome to the site . I have a 728 Broadmoor that had the same problem with the center pivot point . I did correct the problem but it was not a simple fix. I completely dis assembled the tractor all the way down to the frame and then I fastened the rear end of the frame to a square post that was concreted in to the ground and used lots of penetrating oil, heat and elbow grease. Then with the aid of a 24" pipe wrench and a cheater pipe I persuaded it to pivot like it should even to the point that I could seperate the two halves and lapped the joint with grinding compound. I then cleaned everything real goog and re-assembled it with lots of never sieze and it works like it should now. :D:D:D good luck to both of you and I hope this helps you enjoy your yeoman for many years to come. BTW there is a grease fitting on this joint to keep it from freezing up in the future and also the ten dollars to join SIMPLETRACTORS will be the best christmas you could give your son. Well maybe not the best but it would be a good investment for the both of you.

I've got one I need to fix (707). I plan on standing it up where the pivot is exposed, and trying heat and penetrating oil to free it. If needs be I will do like Bill and take the thing apart.

Hi, I have fixed a number of these. Some come easy, and some not. I usually take out the battery, and the belt and brake linkage etc off. Then I take a chain and hang whole tractor by the front bumper from the tine on the fork lift and remove the collar from the front of of the pivot shaft. Then I put a blunt punch in the air chisel and and "pound the outside of the sleeve. Next I take a 6 pound hammer and pound on the bracket with the weight of the tranny and wheels hanging from it. Often this will get them. When things are rusted, I usually pound on them with an air chisel and the rust will powder up and thing will come apart. If this doesn't get it, then I apply penetrating oil and let it set for a while and then try once more. No come? Then I get the torch and heat the sleeve nearly red and use the 6 pounder. Usually this gets them. My 2 cents worth and its free, value accordingly. Al Eden