Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

John Deere 300 ?

johnmonkey

Hello (and sorry for the JD ?) a friend has a John Deere 300 lawn and garden tractor. It has a kohler engine, hydrostatic trans, and hydro lift. I am going to talk to her tomorrow and see what she will take for it. My question is is there any thing of value on the 300? I am thinking of stripping it for the engine and hydro lift. Is there any thing else to look for? Thanks for any help. John H

Think the 300 series JD's were quite popular and pretty well built tractors in thier day, long as you didn't have too change impl. very often. If you part it out, I'd say check out one of the JD sites as the body parts may make you some money.

Don't part it out what ever you do!!!!!!!! Where are you in MD.?? If you get it, and want to resell it, let me know first!!!! I'll see what I can do. I need a bigger and more complete machine than my 140. I am getting off for Christmas Break next week and can possibly meet you in Virginia over break if at all possible.

My neighbor has a 317 and he loves it. The only thing I like about it is the steering seems far superior to the simplicity to me any way. But I don`t like the cut at all.

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
My neighbor has a 317 and he loves it. The only thing I like about it is the steering seems far superior to the simplicity to me any way. But I don`t like the cut at all.
Depends on the deck. If he has an old style shallow deck, such as a 38, 39, 47, or 49, those will not cut good. If he has the deep style such as a 42, 44, 46, 48, 50, or 60, those cut a lot better. The shallow decks seem to have issues with rust as well.

The tractor is in rough shape and I am not sure that she will part with the tractor. I should find out soon. John H