Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3416H no start

RickS

Hi, I am having trouble getting my 3416H to start. I used it to plow my driveway, it started and ran fine. I parked it for a brief while. When I went to start it nothing happens when I turn the key. The generator light does light up. It is acting like one of the safety switches is tripped. (For example I left a PTO engaged.) So my question is where are the safety switches so I can jump them and how do I jump them? I did double check the PTO levels, I even engaged them and then disengaged them. No change. I understand why the switches are there, but this tractor is only used with a plow or a johnny bucket, no pto usage. thanks for your help. Rick..........

Rick, I have the same tractor and this happens to me as well, first look under the dash there are two wires that can cause this, the one with the fuse holder may be corroded or the one that leads to the points, wd-40 any connections and try to start it. If this is not it, the main safety switch is under the seat next to the oil reservior there is a pointed bracket that pushes the contact/ball on this one you can move the bracket by loosening the bolts till it pushes the contact in while in nuetral. The pto switch is under the tractor mounted to the rear of the pto lever this one makes contact with the plastic block on the lever. there is a third location where a switch would locate in front of the BGB this is usually not used, make a 1 1/2 in. wire jumper strip the ends and unplug the harness from the switch then plug the jumper into the plug end making a u shaped bend in the wire, tape it to the plug and you will have bypassed the switches (I don't recommend this, it's better to adjust the contact points) Mine are still good after 30 years

I've read a few posts here about the carb getting covered with snow and causing like a vapor lock. But most of those instances have to do with snowblowers, not plows. There is a sheetmetal kit to guard the carb. Do a search, if you think that might be the problem.

Thanks for all the help. I found two problems. First the safety switch for the transmission was loose and second the wires to this switch were loose. Fixed both and the tractor starts and runs. thanks again