Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Yardman LT-14/42

oots

?
i have another mower that i mow my yard with i have been having trouble with it. It would fludout when running, but when you pull out the chocke it would run good,so i thought it was the carb,i bought a new one $130.00 + tax, put it no done the same thing, so i put a new fuelpump on it $25.00 and it still doses it . Can anyone tell me what is wrong. it is a 14hp V-twin B&S

I had a 14 Hp vertical shaft Vanguard. Had to run it at half choke to make it run right. I finally fixed it by using a small drill and opening the main jet by .001 inch. It ran fine after that. It came from a Hechinger tractor, but I had it on a Murray. Took it off the Murray and mounted it on a Craftsman that I sold to a friend. Still running good. Choke it to start then open the choke completely. On warm days it will start without a choke. Also, if it has an electric shutoff valve that screws into the carb, that could be partially plugged. On mine, I completely drilled out the needle in the shutoff and put on a manual shutoff. My shutoff was completely clogged and I didn't want to pay the price of a new one.

Yes, it is the solenoid that screws into the bottom of the carb and holds the float bowl on. I wanted to replace mine with a regular bowl screw and drill the necessary fuel passage into it, but I didn't have one to fit. If yours has that solenoid valve, the wire must be connected to battery power when the ignition is on, or it won't flow fuel. It could also be partially stopped up, even if the valve is opening. Mine was totally plugged with varnish after sitting for about three years with a full tank of gas. In fact the entire fuel line was plugged with varnish. I drilled through the side hole in mine to cut the needle, then drilled a larger hole in the end to get the pieces out.

Patrician12, We are discussing the electric shutoff valve in the bottom of the carburator. It does not affect the float needle of the mixture. It normally opens when the ignition is turned on and closes when the ignition is turned off. I diasbled mine because it was plugged and the valve is expensive. I used a manual shutoff valve to prevent leakage when not running. I was explaining how I did it. It was a fix to get a temporary mower till I got my AC ready to mow. It ran great. I later sold it to a friend who is still mowing with it. I had nothing to lose at the time since the engine had been given to me, yet this fix worked fine.

I had the exact problem last summer with a 16 hp. twin-v briggs.It was a blown headgasket on one side.I replaced both sides.It is in a 1984 wheel horse that I had purchased new.I have never had the carburator apart in this tractor.I use 6 ounces of Auto Zone carb and injector cleaner to every 5 gallons of gas.