Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lining up a drive shaft

TomMaryland

Has anyone used a magnetic base dial indicator when aligning the drive shaft? The shift is in the 2110, I just wondered how the pros are doing it.

If the shaft is straight and bolts in with out deflecting the disc's it should be right. The purpose of the disc's is to compensate for any slight misalignment. When installing the drive shaft the set screw in yoke on the BGB should be loose so the yoke will slide. The last step should be to tighten this set screw. I broke a rear disk with the engine wide open this made a nice ~ bend in the shaft. I bought a new shaft and before installing it I checked it with a dial indicator. If I remember right it was out between .010 & .020. I then straightened the bent shaft to with in .002 to use as a spare. I have used both shafts with no noticeable difference in vibration.

As long as the engine crankshaft and the BGB shaft are parallel (then don't have to have the same centerline) and the flex disks are not put in tension (reason for loosening the set screw on the BGB yoke, the driveshaft will work fine. I have used shim washers, or tubing spacers to make up the connection to the engine when changing engines. None of my tractors have the original engine. I have never had a problem with the driveshaft or flex plates. I have been using one tractor for pulling off and on for 20 years with the same flex plates, even though it has had three different engines. No problems. Just make sure you do not pull tension on the flex plates when you tighten the bolts down - let the rear yoke slide till finished then tighten the set screw. I have never used a dial indicator or an inclinometer in the setup - no need to.

Nefer been so technical about checking mine but I have used a screwdriver held against the frame with the engine running. Seems all 3 of mine have a slight wobble but so far nothing has flown apart.

Advise I got was to have engine mounts and rear set screw loose. Then rotate engine a few times after tightening the flex discs. Finally tighten the set screw and engine mounts.