Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Late in the season for this type of question

Nick

How do you know when the bearings are going in your mower deck? Mine make a loud whirling sound when they are engaged and was wondering if I should change them over the winter or not.

If they are making a noise as you described I would probably change them. Away to check is to grab a hold of the blade and try to move the arborshaft from side to side if there is any movement they should be replaced. After a while the shafts will start to wear where they go thru the bearings and you will end up replacing the arborshafts as well. These mower decks are pretty quite if the bearings are in desent shape.

Also check to see that the belts in good shape and are tight, them start it up and watch the belt that runs the three blades, if the belt shake and jump at a high speed thats a good sign its time for bearings.

Nick, I'd say if they make that much rackt that they need changeing. It doesn't look like they would take that much power, but after changeing mine the deck ran smoother, made much less noise, and seemed to pull better while in heavier grass. Like it had less friction in the deck. To me it's very little money for the benifit received.

If you have the deck off and take off the belt you can spin each blade and see which ones are loud and rough sounding. Just a thought I hope this helps. John H