Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

If Santa Had An Allis-Chalmers With A Snowblower..

620Doc

Very nice picture of your 620 and Santa .I am a big kid at heart and love santa and my 620 very much.Cant leave my Agco918 out.Your picture quality is very good.It looks like a brochure on a 620 to be honest with you with your house in the background.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi I really like that Allis Chalmers 620 picture you have there. The 620 is really sharp looking Garden Tractor.I have only seen 1 in person so far. They are a beauty of a tractor.I have a few questions, Are 620's PTO shaft driven or belt driven? I think they are PTO driven but I am not sure. Also were all 620's gear driven or was there ever a hydrostatic 620 Allis Chalmers? Take Care Jason B

All the Powermax tractors used the same transmision. A full range sundstrand pump/motor combo driveing a 3 speed gearbox. The rearends were patterned after the 180/190 tractors as the powermaxes used a very heavy transmision inside a cast houseing and final drives dropping down to lowered axles. Very exspensive to make, whitch probably lead to their demise, but almost indestrucktable. O yea, the tractor used 2 v belts to drive the offset shaft that drove the hydro. The deck uses a belt from the engine pto, the blower uses a short belt going down to a shaft that drives the blower with a few gearboxs. They have an internal shaft off the pully for the hydro belts that drives the rear pto through an electric clutch. I hope this all makes sense.:)

Ralph, you should have seen the pile of parts I had in the shop when I got mine. It pretty well came in in boxes.

It took me most of the year to get all the bugs worked out but it's solid now. I just got new brakes and seals for the rear end and I thought I'd through a little paint on it while I had it apart and put in some power steering. I never thought I'd not be useing my HB212 but after being on my 620 for awhile I feel like the king of the yard.lol The little tractors just to cool.:D

Hi Thanks very much Dave, that is one really nice Allis Chalmers 620 tractor you have there.I really like the style of those tractors too. When money permits I would like to own a 620 Allis Chalmers some day. How much longer and bigger are the 620's compared to a 1920H? The 620 looks to be a little bigger then a Sunstar but not by much. I have not seen a 1920 parked beside a 620 so I could not do a comparision between the too.Once again a very nice 620 you have. Take Care Jason B

Jason, I'm not sure of all the diff. between the 2 tractors. I think weight wise the 620 has a little advantige on the sunstars, and I like the heavy rear end. The sunstars have some advantiges over the others like power steering and I think you have a choice of rear pto speeds. Plus some concider the shaft drive a plus on the sunstars. That to me really doesn't matter as long as you keep the mule drive and things that cause belt problems under control. This keeps belt replaceing to a minimum and there is wear in the shafts at 3600 rpm after a few years you can develop a lot of slop and drivetrain wear on the shafts. As far as a choice between the 2 I'd go for a sunstar if I were mainly going tomow. I like the powermaxes for more versitility, and being able to move loads. Also these are old pics of my 620 and I hope to soon paint it. Thanks for the compliments, Dave.

Hi Dave I was just wondering how hard are the 620's to steer without power steering? I imagine that they are not that bad, might be tricky if you had a front mounted blower though.How hard is it to covert a 620 over to power steering? Thanks for responding, take care Jason B

Steering's not too bad. If you have the narrow tires it's pretty easy, but with the wide ones like I run I get a little tired. I don't know how hard changeing it to power steering is going to be, but in a couple of weeks I'll know. lol I've got my pu stripped down right now, but as soon as I get it back together that will be my next project. I'll get some picks and let you know.

Hi Ok thanks Dave, I don't currently own a 620, but would like to own one someday so I was just inquiring about some information on these tractors. I was on the iron search web site and they had 2 620's for sale, one had a 60 inch deck, and the other was just the tractor. Is $1,500 and $2,500 Canadian a good price for these tractors? Take Care Jason B

I used a snowblower a couple of weeks ago on my 4041, which is basically the same as the 620, and didn't have much trouble at all with steering it. They are really nice tractors and would recomend them to anyone. Ryan

Even with the wide tires in the front, the 620 steers quite easily in the snow. With the hydrostatic drive, hydraulic lift and electric snow spout rotator, it's an absolute blast to run. As far as comparing the big frame tractors to others, I think nothing beats the style of these. Looks just like a miniature 190XT. Woundn't our John Deere friends love to have a compact tractor that looks just like a 4020?

quote:
Originally posted by 620Doc Woundn't our John Deere friends love to have a compact tractor that looks just like a 4020?
Naaa. They'd rather sell something green in a box store than build a real tractor.[:0] Real shame of it is I hope I get my blower before we get any of that white stuff.;) With all this 70 degree weather we've had lately it doesn't look like I'll even need one this year.:(