Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

repower a power-max

buster

Have been thinking of repowering my power max. have a chance to get a 26 hp Lombardini diesel. new engine for $1100. i don't see any problems with adapting it other than time and some machine work. just wondering if anyone else has attempted this or has any insite that would be helpful. thanks Buster

I have the Lombardini in my 920 AC, especially on start-up, they really rock and roll. The engine is held in with three rubber mounts. You might want to find one to look at, and see it run.

I think that Al Eden a sponser on this site (and a motor/tractor expert) has some kind of kit available. I hope this helps . JH

About a year ago someone was putting a Kubota diesel in his Power Max. Not sure if he ever got it done not. Found it, may not be of any help to you except encouragement as to what can be done. shoot, it didn't cut and paste, if you do a search using Kubota engines, it'll show up.

Hey Buster, You may want to check with Mark Canova down in FL. He had done some conversions, I think that's who MPH saw. Looked pretty clean! Take Care, JP

Buster, I've been watching those sell on eBay and thinking about one as a backup for my 7790. It looks like it is about the same footprint as the 10LD400 Lombardini in the 7790/920. The downside I see (besides shipping:(), is that they are rated at 2600 RPM, not 3600 RPM. Also it is an inline 2 cylinder engine so it may be longer that the Onan in the PowerMax. Might be able to use the governor parts from the 10LD400 to get the 3600 RPM.

I'd love to have a diesel in my 620. But I have a hard time since my Onan is still doing such a great job. I need to find another tractor in sad shape to play with and perfect so I don't have to hack up my running tractor. I think any diff. of engine speed could be overcame with the propper resizzeing of pullies on the engine. I have a Kohler 23 in excelent shape ,one of the old K582's , and a worn performer 24, but I don't see changeing for a gain of only a few HP. Plus the new 31HP engines must realy suck up the gas. Gonna have to think hard to justify that kind of work.

There are MUCH better diesel engs out there than this lombard crap! I just wanted to re-piston mine and they cost $$$275 EACH! what a joke,,[imo]I would go with a nice lil ol yanmar 3 cyl liquid cooled unit. very quiet and smooth running more hp too!it should fit in eng cavity on that machine with no probs., just my 2 cents worth,,.

Another thought about diesels...Any one have access to the refrigeration units on semi trailers? Most have a small 3 cyl diesels that are highly underworked...Im looking for one myself, Id like to put one on a 7116. Just have to find that baby diesel

I used to work on those they have MEGA hrs on them,at least mine did.They were lister engs,really to big and heavy for this app.,yamar3 cyl. liquid coled, is the ticket imo small very quiet and smooth running,.that ''green'' co. uses them a lot in their stuff.

Yanmar biulds about all John Deere small tractors. Not too bad of a little tractor if you could get parts for them. At least I don't know where localy where anyone has anything on the shelf. Most around here that sell Yanmar do it out of their front yard,lol. Not mush service and support like that.

Have you considered the B&S Vanguard diesel like they are using in the LegacyXL? They come in 18, 23 & 27hp. They are made by Daihatsu in Japan.