Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  

1972 3415H New Clues for Al

Al
Hi, Thanks. Glad to be able to help. Number 2: Does this seem to be a grabbing or catching and releasing? Watch the right hand axle tube while womeone drives the tractor. See if the axle tube is turning smoothly, if it is I would suspect that gears in the differential have a problem, if not the axle tube may be broken and the rough ends catching and releasing. A similar problem may be caused when the charge pump is getting weak and the main hydro pump loses charge pressure and gains it back. It can also be a pinched hose from the filter tank to the charge pump. Also watch the rear drive pulley to see if the speed remains constant, if so watch the shaft, the key may be sheared and the shaft slipping under load. Check that the brake is releasing and the tightener pulley on the main drive belt is tightening the belt properly. If this don't cover it yell and we can call Sherlock Holmes or someone with more experience than I have. Good luck, Al

Al
Hi, Another thought, if it happens on a heavey drawbar load, check the front drive pulley the the crossdrive. We have had to replace a number of these that slip under load. [all 3 types of transmissions] The tractor seems to slip under load, often the hydro or shuttle apearing bad. What is really happening is the front pulley is worn into a U instead of a V and the belt rides in the bottom of the U and drives like a 3/8" wide flat belt instead of the Vs gripping on the sides. If this happens and the belt is worn unevenly it will slip and the wide spot in the belt will grip in the side and pull, then slip again until the wide spot comes around. Normally this problem only shows up when climbing hills or pulling a heavier load. Good luck, Al

YES AL !!! It feels like it grabs and then lets go, grabs and lets go. Isn't constant. Comes and goes. I remember it has done this in the last two years, but would only happen once and I would not feel it again for many hours of operation. Took off belt today and cleaned some cacoons out of the pullies and reinstalled the belt even though it looked like it was about to break....couldn't find a new one on a Sunday. Seemed a little better but not much...probably my optimistic imagination! Grab and go for thirty seconds then normal for thirty seconds....come and goes. I did find one thing that was very consistant however. When warmed up... if I drive it up a steep hill forwards it seems to suddenly get all it's power back. When I crest the hill.....gone is the power and it begins to do its no so good thing....grab and go. As I turn to go down the hill I have to be right on the hydrostatic control or the tractor gains more speed than I care to have. However, when cold it does not climb the hill well...in fact hesitates even worse. Thanks

Try cleaning the float bowl and draining the gas tank. Then ad new gas. this happened to me once and I did the above and it worked

Kent
I know you talked about your engine stalling is this another problem? 3415H would have the Vicker hydro. Have you tried replacing the filter and hydro oil? Sometime the Vickers did strange things when low on oil. Good Luck. MS