Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cleaning Lights

msiebern

I have a 7014S and a 7018H, both of which have the rectangular lights mounted in the hood. Both are on the dim side due to a haze or rusty color on the lens. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean these without scratching them up so the lights are brighter for those early morning smow plowing jobs?

Mike - I had the same issue when I owned a 7018H with the Kohler 18HP single cylinder engine. I replaced the headlight assemblies with new ones to then find out the bulbs were dim. I then found out that Kohler engine only had (if I remember correctly) a 3 amp alternator which uses a diode to convert the alternator AC current to DC. I then changed the power source for the headlights from the alternator to the battery. The lights were brighter. I also replaced the original style bulbs with 50 watt halogen bulbs which are actually sold as vehicle back-up bulbs. The halogen bulbs are made by and can be purchased from DesignTech International, 7955 Cameron Brown Court, Springfield, Virgina 22153, 1-800-337-4468, www.designtech-intl.com. I really only used the headlights during the winter while snowblowing. Understanding the way I had the headlights hooked up drew more power than what the alternator put out, the lights would slowly drain the battery. To recharge the battery before shutting off the engine, I would turn the lights off and allow the engine to run for a while after I was done snowblowing. I would also use this time to brush the snow off of the tractor. I did not have a problem using the halogen bulbs in the 7018H, but I did remove then when I sold it and tried to use them in my 2000 Sovereign and one bulb overheated and burned out. I am now using the original style in my 2000 Sovereign.

The lights in my AC716H were yellowed. I soaked them in chlorine bleach overnight. They came out white again. A mechanic had told me that used car dealers use this technique on plastic headlights on cars so they don't have to replace them. Also, if you give the reflector a good coat of silver paint, it will make the light brighter. The factory coating on the reflector turns dark with time.