Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Carb problems

Denny

I Just rebulit carb on my 3416s single cylinder B&S. It was very hard to start and when it fired up it ran liike it was flooded or very rich. I took the carb off, soaked the carb overnight in the carb cleaner. Today I put the carb back together and still have the same problem. It ldles ok once you get her started, but you put it past that and it stumbles and runs bad, it seems very rich. I have no pictures of this carb and am wondering what I missed? If any one had a picture of the carb broken down I might be able to see something I missed . Thanks Den

You did not mention adjustments. The first settings are just to get it started. You will have to adjust when it warms up. Search for carb settings under Discussions, search the forums...

Denny, find a copy of the Briggs repair manual. They are full of usefull hints on these old engines and well worth the money. They have all the breakdowns of components in them.

Are you sure the carb is the problem? Sounds like you may have an ignition problem as well. Have you checked the points and spark plug? Did it run any better after you re-built the carb or run the same? Have you done a compression check? Good luck searching...

• 3 weeks later...
I had some trouble after I rebuilt my 3 bolt flo-jet carb. With the gas shutoff turned on, if you back out the high speed mixture screw fuel should run out. If no fuel runs out there is something pluging the carb inside and may flush out by itself without taking the carb apart. Try cranking the motor over with the screw removed then put the screw back in and try again.