Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-110 / 3415S Mating?

PhanDad

Would bolting the back half of this: [img]/club2/attach/phandad/3415S_Parts.jpg[/img] to the front half of a B-110 be a fairly easy mating? Anyone done this? But then it would be a shame to "wreck" my original B-110. But using a gear drive tractor on my hilly ground just isn't good. PS - The parts tractor is available at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=66761&item=4343947946&rd=1

Should be a pretty easy conversion. The BGB and everything behind it will bolt right in. The only fabrication that may be needed would be the linkage and control lever for the shuttle. Note however, that the tractor will be 4" longer when you're done, and the seat pan/fenders from the B-110 might not fit, if it is one of those double-hinged setups. You may have to paint this orange seat deck yellow, and swap seats...

I once put a B1 front on a 710 rear end. It worked out easy, just had to bend the fenders a bit and weld up a shifter rod. Looked pretty ugly though,

I seem to recall that was a pretty sharp B110 you had. Maybe instead of cutting it up, sell it and find a factory built HB112 or HB212?

Looking at your e-bay advert, it looks like the pto is on the right side of the tractor. As I am only mildly familiar with the Big Ten tractor, which has the pto on the left, I wonder if indeed it is opposite on the Soverign or is the picture backwards? Or is that a hi-lo? (another thing I am not familiar with but keep putting on my birthday/christmas list)

dav, Didn't think about the PTO, I think the 3400's have a cone cultch PTO on the left side of the tractor (left when sitting on it). The B-110 has a PTO assembly that's driven from the left side of the BGB and hangs down under the tractor (maybe like your Big Ten?). What I think you're looking at in the Ebay ad (the rear view pic) is the gearbox drive pulley of the shuttle drive. Dutch showed me one last year and all I really remember is very large pulleys on the right side of the tractor (both BGB and gear box) under the seat pan. I'm pretty sure the lever on the right side of the tractor is for the shuttle drive. And for those of you familiar with shuttle drives, the shuttle drive only allows variable speed in a set gear, to stop you need to depress the clutch, correct? And to "back up" you still have to use the clutch to shift into reverse, correct? So I think Chris is correct, don't mess up the B-110.

I don't know Bill, if you don't have a really large storeage shed, not so sure you be mating these things.^ Lets see, a B-3410 hmmm

I don't think a "shuttle" drive has a reverse gear. 4 speed, just push the lever forward to go forward, pull back to the neutral slot, then back on the lever to reverse in the same gear. Only time you have to clutch is when shifting between 1st and 4th. If you are in 4th and pull back to reverse you will go backward the same speed (fast)! Somebody correct me if I am wrong... New 4-speed Shuttling Drive for shiftless reversing Provides 4 speed ranges in forward and reverse. Instant, shiftless reversing in any range. Touch-O-Matic clutch can be feathered to slow tractor without shifting. Pull shuttle lever toward reverse to slow or stop tractor . . . all the way back to reverse tractor.

I have a 7013S(shuttle) Baron, I only drove it a little bit. Seemed okay but its nothing compared to a hydro. I don't know how well its suited for hills, and I've read they can be troublesome when they get out of adjustment. I know my planetary should probably come apart for some new grease.

I have a 3410 S (for sale) that I like, and yes 4th gear reverse is fast if you're not careful to throttle down. I really haven't worked this one much so I can't say much about reliability etc. The planetaries can be noisy though. I don't recall clutching to shift, forward to reverse is just like the hydro.... If you want to compare to a hydro IMO the hydro is simpler and less complex no worries about shifting or clutching move the lever in the direction you want to go and viola you go...:p

Phandad, with the shuttle you need to use the clutch to shift gears but don't need it to go from forward to reverse or reverse to forward. There is also no variable to this setup, just 4 straight gears. You can use the lever to slip the belts just the same as if you were using the clutch pedal. A hydro gives you infinate speed ranges which is much nicer to mow with. The shuttle however does not rob you of horsepower like the hydro does which makes it nicer for heavy ground work like plowing & pulling. I pulled for about three years with a shuttle in a 900 series with a strong Magnum 18hp. It did take about three meets( 9 times down the track) to get the belts adjusted but it worked good once I understood how to adjust it. They do tend to be a little hard on belts in extreme uses like this but I've also had them for mowing and seem to last about the same as any other gear drive tractor. The planetaries are fairly quiet if they are in good condition but can get very noisy if worn (just like any gear). In my opinion, the shuttle is a compromise between the power & endurance of a gear drive & the convenience and ease of a hydro. I hope this helps to clear up some of the mystery of the shuttle. Dan

quote:
Originally posted by PeppyDan
Phandad, with the shuttle you need to use the clutch to shift gears but don't need it to go from forward to reverse or reverse to forward. There is also no variable to this setup, just 4 straight gears. You can use the lever to slip the belts just the same as if you were using the clutch pedal. A hydro gives you infinate speed ranges which is much nicer to mow with. The shuttle however does not rob you of horsepower like the hydro does which makes it nicer for heavy ground work like plowing & pulling. I pulled for about three years with a shuttle in a 900 series with a strong Magnum 18hp. It did take about three meets( 9 times down the track) to get the belts adjusted but it worked good once I understood how to adjust it. They do tend to be a little hard on belts in extreme uses like this but I've also had them for mowing and seem to last about the same as any other gear drive tractor. The planetaries are fairly quiet if they are in good condition but can get very noisy if worn (just like any gear). In my opinion, the shuttle is a compromise between the power & endurance of a gear drive & the convenience and ease of a hydro. I hope this helps to clear up some of the mystery of the shuttle. Dan
Never use the clutch to shift gears on my shuttles (as per the manual).