Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity = Bolens

MPH

Had a young mechanic telling me last week that the new Bolens are the exact same tractor as the new Simplicity's. Not sure how he can know this as there are no new Simplicity's in the state of Alaska. When I tried to tell him Bolens is now owned by MTD all he could reply was he knows they are the same tractor. Looking at some Bolens sites last night I see they are also in Port Townsend Wi. so I thought I would ask this group of experts if there is any chance Bolens is building the low end Simplicity tractors. I know Kent took a tour of the plant last summer and wittnessed new tractors being build at the Simplicity plant so I believe I know Bolens did't take over completely. Thanks for any feedback.

If there was any relationship, which I doubt very much, it would be the other way around. Simplicity manufacters stuff for other companies. All the new Bolens I've seen are low end even for MTD.

Marty this is whats left of the Bolens tractor line. Right now MTD is taking on more water then the Titanic did. http://www.bolens.com/servlet/BrandProductDetail?ID=947&CAT=28&SUB=136

[quote]Originally posted by MPH
Had a young mechanic telling me last week that the new Bolens are the exact same tractor as the new Simplicity's. Not sure how he -------- snipped --------- Marty, I went to www.bolens.com and saw the pressed tin that has the Bolens name on it. At best, an MTD with different paint. What a shame it is to see the regal Bolens name on such stuff. As the owner of several old Bolens workhorses, it breaks my heart. Bolens Mfg. Co. started in Port Washington, WI, back in about 1914 or so. Originally Mr. Bolens and Mr. Gilson were in partnership, later going their own ways. About 10 or 11 years ago Bolens was bought by Garden Way/Troy Bilt, and the Port Washington plant - not too far from the Simplicity plant - was closed. Five or six hundred people were put out of work and the manufacturing was moved to New York. Soon thereafter Bolens tractors were no more. MTD bought the name, but they aren't manufacturing real tractors.

Back in "92" when I was shopping for a new tractor, I looked real seriously at the Bolens on the strength of the several "60's" tube frames I have owned over the years. However, I was so impressed with the Sunstar/Ultima series I went that direction instead. I have never regretted it. It truly is a shame to see the Bolens name and reputation go the way it has.

Last year I had to arguement with someone over the newer Bolens. They were looking to replace their Craftsman and wanted a Bolens because they remembered them being quality tractors. Tried telling them they weren't the same. They ended up buying one from Lowes and returned it a month later. Maybe now they will listen.

As stated by Jay M, Bolens are now made by Troy Built in the state of New York. They are cheap tin lawnmowers (Troy Built without the cup holders) and are in no way related to Simplicity. Tim Johnson Owner: Bolens Tractors Club