Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Headlight Bulbs

HubbardRA

For those of you who have lights on the older "B" series tractors or the Simpliticy 700 thru early Landlords with the guide lights, here are some of the bulbs that may be used in these units. These bulbs also fit AC 900 series and Simplicity 7100 series. There are other sealed beam bulbs that fit, but these are the ones I thought someone would most likely want.

Rod, That's a great cross reference chart. I would suggest trying to integrate it with the halogen versions of PAR-36 lamps and then post it in the Tech Tips section. I have searched for that kind of comprehensive info in that chart on the "net" and come up empty handed. Tom(PK)

Tom, This data came from an old book I found. Probably from 70s or 80s. The lights that I left out were the spotlight bulbs, and the amber and red versions of these lights. I don't have any reference information on the halogen bulbs. If someone has this information, then we can integrate it and put it in Tech Tips, or this table can be moved as it is. By the way, I checked with NAPA and most of these bulbs are available, at least the ones I was thinking about buying for my tractors. Most of the bulbs run about $12 each. If someone wants the amber or red coated versions, the price will nearly double.

You might try [url]www.sunraylightning.com[/url] or the specific page [url]http://www.sunraylighting.com/searchaction.asp[/url] to get more information on lamps. each one listed has a different CP (candle power). some are very bright and some will look yellow when on. just remember the higher the CP, the brighter the light. sorry I haven't looked how to make the page an automatic link. you will have to cut and paste. hdrhdr

hdrhdr, Candlepower is not the best measure of how a light is going to work, especially for tractor use. Wattage, in general is the measure of how much light is produced. Candlepower is a measure of the light intensity at a specific distance in the center of the beam. A spotlight will have much more candlepower than a floodlight of the same wattage and will light up areas farther from the light, but will produce a small spot rather than lighting a large area as the floodlight does. Usually with tractors, you will want a large area around the tractor to be lighted, but it doesn't matter if the light projects more than about 20ft - 40ft because of the slow speeds at which these machines move. This is the reason that I didn't list spotlight bulbs in the table. These tractors don't run 50 mph, so I didn't figure anyone would need spotlights to see several hundred feet in front of them. hdrhdr, ambler, Tom Don't misunderstand me people. I am not knocking the fact that there are other possible bulb choices available. What you need to understand is that I am not conducting a research project on light bulbs. I put together the information in the table for my own use and posted it for others. The links you are posting may be good reference material, but I do not plan to spend hours pulling more information from other places and integrating it in a table. If someone else wants to do this, feel free to start with the info I posted and add to it. When someone criticizes something I posted as incomplete and needing more information, I see that person as a "volunteer".

Rod, I know you know the current draw from the power and voltage but many here don't. Please remember that we are dealing with alternators and SG with peak current outputs of 15A. The draw from the lighting circuit should be less than 1/2-2/3 of that.