Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Found a Piece of Gold

UCD

I was in my shop Tue. looking for a blower auger bearing for my nephews 36" blower. While going thru a box of misc. parts and pulleys I bought on ebay for $15.00 I found a very rare item. (a piece of gold) This is what I found. [img]/club2/attach/Kent/hydro_pulley.jpg[/img] A 10hp hydrolift pump drive pulley Please don't PM or email about this pulley as it is already spoken for. Jim McDonald has been looking for one for about 1 year. I told him I had an extra 12hp pulley that he could have if he didn't find one. He was going to machine it to the 10hp size. Well he bought a 12hp pulley on ebay last week. I called him Tue. night and told him to guess what I had in my hand. He said tell me its not a 10hp pulley so I told him it wasn't. To make a long story short I told him it was his but he had to come and get it. He said he would be up with in a week and not to let it out of my site. I never did find the Auger bearing and I know I have 2 spares.

I have a hydro lift to mount on my B-10 this winter, it has a stamped and welded steel pulley, with some offset of the mounting surface and v-belt groove. I think it came off a 3200 series tractor. Maynard, could you or someone else who has a pulley off the tractor post the sizes of the 12 hp pulley, including the thickness of both the 10 and 12 hp versions? Is the center hole for clearance? Are the two slots used for anything? I might be swapping a Briggs 14hp into the B-10 at the same time I mount the hydo-lift, and depending on which engine my pulley fits will probably decide which engine stays with the tractor. Thanks GregB

This post has a lot of info on the two pulleys. [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=12533[/url] The 10hp pulley is ½" thick and the 12hp pulley is 1" thick. The bolt holes are the same. The center hole in the 10hp pulley seems to serve no purpose as the pulleys are mounted with the 3/8" bolts. The center hole in the 12hp pulley fits over the shaft. The disk bolts to the pulley with two bolts thru two of the holes in the disc and the drive shaft mounts to the disk with two bolts thru the other two holes in the disc..

Maynard, Thanks for the link. It seems I have the stamped steel version of the 12hp pulley. I guess unless I can find or make a 10hp pulley, this winter the 14hp goes into the B-10 with the Hydro lift. GregB

I believe a 12hp pulley could be used on a 10hp engine by surface grinding off the extra ½" flange on the 12hp pulley as the center hole servers no purpose on the 10hp as far as I can see. The 12hp pulleys are plentifull as they came standard on all 12hp engines made for Simplicity. These are just my thoughts on the subject.

Thats what I just did with My pulley I put it in the lathe and turned it down to 1/2 thick (1/2 hour on the lathe)but I had to use a couple of thinner washer to get it to fit right but I didn't try to loosen the motor up and move it forward any and my frame has been welded so maybe that had something to do with it but it works