Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 5215

tweeter6216

I have a Simplicity 5212 lawn tractor. It has a 5 speed sliding manual tranny. When I put it in gear it doesnt do anything for a second or two after I let the clutch out. It also jumps out of gear when moving. Is the tranny shot or is there something else?

Hi, check the shift lever and make sure it is not too loose, it has a bolt through it and the rod that enters the trans. I bought a 4212 that I was told had a bad trans because it would not go into gear. All that was wrong was the shift lever was loose and was hitting the plastic cover before it went into gear. You may have the same problem. Lets hope it is that simple. John

Hi, Your problem is the shift keys in the transmission have the tips of the shift keys chipped off. The transmission is a constant mesh set of gears. There are 5 gears on a shaft of increasing size. The mating shaft has 5 gears that match the other gears and as the gears on the first shaft increase in diameter these decrease. When the input pulley is turned it turns a shaft and a bevel gear. The bevel gear mates with a gear on the mainshaft, this is the shaft that turns the 5 gears. These gears turn the other gears that turn free on the shaft, The shaft has 2 or 4 channels or keyways in it. The gears have a hole in them and then are broached like a cross or + sign. There are either 2 or 4 shift keys in these grooves. The keys are about 4 inches long and have a V shaped bump sticking up on the end. The other end has has a couple of ears sticking up and they fit inside a shift collar that slides the keys back and forth to shift the gears. When you move the shift selector you move the keys back and forth. As the keys move the bumps stick up into the cross notches in the inside of the gear. This connects one gear to the shaft and lets the others turn free. As the keys move through the gears they connect different gear sets for different ratios and speed. Shifting without using the clutch chips the tips of these keys and as the gears are turning they are no longer flat on the sides and don't fit flat again the sides of the cross in the gear. They then spring down and then the gear turns free for 1/4 turn and then they spring up in the next cross notch and catch. If you continue to run it this way the insides of the gears will get chipped up and you will need to replace a gear or 2 also. Replacing the keys is not all that expensive. It is a messy job as the trans has a stiff Bentonite grease in it and you have to clean that mess out and put a new tube of grease when you put it together. These are Tecumseh Peeless 800 series transaxles and the parts are Tecumseh, not Simplicity. One note, as you take it apart, there washers between the gears and the inside holes are beveled one way. Do not get them turned around. The is a Tecumseh manual for all of these units and it is very clearly written. If you have a tranny with 2 shift keys and the shaft has 4 slots, most do, you can put 4 keys in it and you will have the same setup that the higher hp versions have. This is what makes the heavier trans. Note: There is no warranty even on a new tractor for chipped shift keys, because Tecumseh says the ONLY thing that can cause it is shifting without using the clutch and that is improper use. Note there is a little metal plate by the brake disk with the model on it. You will need it to obtain the correct parts. Also put some grease on the shafts and inside the gears when reassembling, as the grease is stiff and it takes a long time to penetrate and the gears will score the shafts before any gets worked in. Also note that the little steel plate is between the outside brake pad and the pins that apply the brake and not behind the pad against the case. This keeps the brake pins from breaking the pad. Good luck, Al Eden

That's one well written tranny lesson Al, I've never even operated one of these but now feel like I know what makes them tick. Great!!!!!!!!

quote:
originally posted by MPH That's one well written tranny lesson Al,I've never even operated one of these but now feel like I know what makes them tick. Great!!!!!!!!
Amen to that Marty!! Al, I'm always impressed, not only by your knowledge, but your ability to but it in words so easily understood.

• 1 month later...
I have a Tecumseh/Peerless transmission manual, if you need a copy of the 800 series pages shoot me a PM or email. Sears has these manuals for $10/ea. Mine covers all the Peerless trannies, hydro and gear.