Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs 16 Oppsed Twin

tweeter6216

I have a Briggs and Stratton I/C 16Hp opposed twin motor. Model 402707. I can only get it to start by placing my hand directly on top of the carb. and turning the key. Once it starts, it runs well with no knocks or smoke. It will start like 5 mins after it is warm but maybe a half an hour later i have to choke by hand again. Can someone tell me what the problem is. Why can I not start it without taking the airfilter off and covering the carb.? The choke doesn't even help. The choke does close all the way. I replaced the fuel pump too. Compression is 110# in both cylinders. I made sure the gaskets between the intake and block are tight, the suction tube for the fuel pump is new, and the carb was also rebuilt.

Hi, Check that the gasket under the top cover isn't flipped over closing off the bowl vent. Go through this every time I train a new mechanic. Also if it has the fabricated intake manifold check to see if it has a crack or air leak on the seam where the 2 halves of the runners are bonded together. This won't be a problem if it has the cast iron intake manifold. Good luck, Al Eden

When you take the top of the carb off, the gasket between the top cover with the float in it and the bowl. There is a hole between the 2 parts and if the gasket is flipped over it blocks off this little hole. It is so easy to do. I wouldn't remember it if the first time I did it I had a He__ of a time finding it. I have a new guy that has been a car mechanic for 20 years and he has worked here for about 8 months. Last week he finally got his indoctrination on this. Al

The gasket is on right. The bowl has gas in it. The pump is working. The float is horizontal. Seems like the engine is getting too much air and i have to choke it all the time. The main screw is at 1 1/2 turns out. The engine was surging today while running at lowest throttle position (turtle). Runs fine at highest (rabbit).