Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
dav

is hi-lo neccessary

dav
I currently have a 12 inch pulley on my transmission to slow down enough to roto-till. It does not slow me down as much as I would like. I have to keep riding the clutch, as it were. Looking at pictures of the Hi-Lo set up, it seems to be driven by a 5 or 6 inch pulley. Does it slow the tractor down more than the 12 pulley does? I find I have bought a few things that I didn't need just because I didnt know enough about them. Although I like the hi-lo on my Sears Suburban, I have not tilled with it so I dont know if it is an asset or not

rokon2813
Rod, Its been a while, cant remember the measurement, 1/2 inch to a full inch. The standard shaft needs to be cut off that much for the hi lo to work on the older tractors like the B's and Landlords. I have never seen one on the newer style like 3400's and up so I cant attest to those. When I broke the axle tube on the B12 I swapped out the whole rear for one from a Landlord 101 and that was the only mod I had to do. the B12 had hi lo when I got it, and the 101 did not. Dave, I havent tilled with a Suburban either, but I have checked the ground speed of both side by side. The B in lo is slower than the Suburban in lo by far.

KVANDY12
Dav, I till with my AC 914H in this heavy S.C. red dirt and I have to ride the clutch also. So I tryed not to till to deep on the first pass, about 3" and it work a whole lot better. Take a little longer but in the long run it's work out to be about the same time.Oh on the second pass I go across the grain. Works for me. Ken

Kent
In general, you should only have to cut the 1" off the input shaft on the older trannies that came with 7 thru 9 HP engines. It should bolt right on the 10HP and newer ones, though there may be a few of the Landlord 101s and Big Tens that have that tranny as Simplicity used up their stock.... I can't speak for the RBTs... the linkage is likely just one more thing the running board would get in the way of... :D