Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

carb part

Simplicity314

Hi..I'm in the middle of rebuilding a large one piece flo-jet carb. The kit has a tiny rubber grommet or seal. It's green. I know there are parts for other carbs in carb kits, but I don't know about this one piece. Does it go on one of the needles? Or is it only used on some carbs but not others? Thanks again in advance. --Jim

No, this is rubberized, and much too small. It is more like a small cylinder rather than a washer. Thanks though.

My thoughts would be; If I didnt take one out, I dont need to put one back in. :D Then if it didnt work I'd take it back apart to see where it goes.;) I've had several of those carbs apart and dont remember ever seeing anything like that, other than the rubber o-rings that go on some of the needle screws.

yeah..this is much smaller...it fits over the needle part of a needle screw. There are diff. size float vales and diff. gaskets to use with one carb or another, but this seems to be an "odd part out." I'm only concerned because this is a used motor, so anything is possible. I also understand that some rubber parts dissolve or break down over time. I just don't want to put it together, then find out it goes somewhere in a jet or in the bowl! Thanks.

Some carb kits have two types of needle and seat. One needle design is for a brass seat and has an elastomer tip. The other needle design has a steel tip and is to be used with an elastomer insert that goes in the fuel inlet bore underneath the needle. Sounds like your mystery piece may be the elastomer seat. My kit had a small piece of paper explaining this inside the small box that contained the needles, seat, spring clips, etc. My experience,

Hi, Bingo Roy, This is correct. If your carb has the all metal float valve, there is this little vinyl or something donut that is the seat. It goes in with the end that has the little groove in it against the brass seat. Put it in the seat and push it down until it is seated against the bottom of the seat with an appropriate size pin punch. If your old one is the Viton tipped valve it goes in directly into the brass seat. Since the needle kits usually come with both, save what you don't use for your next project. If your carb has the metal seat and you blew on the inlet line with an air hose with the needle out , it has probably come out and is likely stuck on a reindeer antler tip or some some similar unfindable place. Otherwise a small crochet hook works well to pull them out. My experience has been that I have less trouble with the carbs with the steel needle and the soft seat. Good luck, Al Eden

Thanks Al and Roy! The only instructions that came with the kit is one on the little spring clip that holds the float valve to the float. All the other extra parts made sense.