Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

ag tires (2ply vs. 4ply) ?

mowerman1193

I have been shopping tires for the past week for my 3415H..So far my best deal on USA made tires are the Carlisle Super Lugs... I can go to my local TSC and get 2ply or for $1.00 more I can get 4ply from Rustytbore shipped to my door.. I just wonder for a moderately (plowing snow mostly) used GT what would work best and last longer...Or if there are any advantages of one over the other as they are priced about the same.. Thanks,

I would think for plowing snow you'd be better off with two ply as the softer tire should bite better. I'd go 4 ply for a loader or heavy rear loads like a forklift.

The two ply will ride a little better and likely get better traction and cleaning of the lugs in normal conditions, since the sidewalls will likely flex more. As MPH stated, the four ply will handle heavier loads. What is the weight rating on the two different tires? Personally, I'm more concerned about how deep and agressive the lugs are than I am whether they're two ply or four ply... Some of the newer lugs you see are only about 1/2" deep. While this is likely better on your lawn, they don't work nearly as well in snow or loose dirt. I wouldn't trade one set on the Chen Shin lugs for two sets of the Duros that I also have... Guess my next set will have to be Carlisle Super Lugs, since that's the most agressive I've been able to find lately...

Well I think I will buy the ones at TSC then..I thought the 2ply would be best for my use... Kent, This is what was in the ad... ----------------------------------------------------------------These are tubless tires and have a maximum capacity of 1340lbs per tire at 20psi. ---------------------------------------------------------------- I don't know the rating of the 2ply and I can't seem to find that info on the net..I will let you know when I get them what the rating is... I sure wish I could find the Chen Shin tires in the 23x10.50x12 as I would buy them instead..Only size I have seen them in is the 8.50's..Last I knew Tucker Tire could order them for you but he don't stock them anymore.. Has anyone checked out the Titan True Power tires? I see Rustybore has those listed in the Ebay store but they seem to be about $20 more than the Super Lugs..Just wondered if they was more aggresive or not.. I emailed Rustybore about the difference in them and the Super Lugs and the only thing he had to say was the price was more,LOL I was looking for a more specific answer than that as I already knew they was more money...I also asked if they had more lugs and his reply was he never counted them before but he didn't seem to think there was..

I just this week got front and rear tires from tiresunlimited.com, they have free shipping on L&G tire orders over $50 through the end of the month. Here is my 210 with the new tires: the rear tires are Carlisle 510960. The rears were only $36 ea. and tiresunlimited was great, they shipped same day and I had the tires (and tubes) in 3 days. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/RobS/268-6813_IMG.JPG[/img]

You can't tell what the weight rating is just based on 2-ply versus 4-ply. Some 2-ply also say "4-ply rated"... The ply designation basically defines how stiff the sidewall is -- I've heard some people who've used 6-ply and aren't satisfied with the harsh ride.... 2680 lbs (2 X the 1340) should be much more than the rear axle can handle, so that's plenty...

Kevin, I have the Titan tru power tires on my 4040. Like them real well on there but can't really compare them to the tires I have on my B series tractors, just not apples to apples you know.

quote:
Originally posted by RobS
I just this week got front and rear tires from tiresunlimited.com, they have free shipping on L&G tire orders over $50 through the end of the month. Here is my 210 with the new tires: the rear tires are Carlisle 510960. The rears were only $36 ea. and tiresunlimited was great, they shipped same day and I had the tires (and tubes) in 3 days.
---------------------------------------------------------------------- Free shipping sounded too good to be true. Too bad the don't ship free to CANADA Now I have some money, I would have bought several. TOo bad

Well I went to TSC and bought the Super Lugs last night..Knew I should have checked on here before I left..I got home and seen Robs post about the free shipping...I could have saved $20 had I known...I may just take these back to TSC and order them online..Although our local TSC is also by the malls ect. and its a madhouse out there..not to mention the traffic..so I may just save the hassle and keep these,LOL

These tires are used on many applications, up through the heavy ditch witches. For a tractor I would recommend 2 ply. Better traction and better ride. If I were working in an area where there were obstacles that could puncture the carcass then I would go for the higher ply rating. I run all 2 ply tires, myself.