Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

wisconsin engine

dav

Has anyone put a Wisconsin engine in their tractor? My generator has a THD Wisconsin 2 cylinder 10 hp motor. While searching for a carb kit for it (which I haven't found yet),I found a running motor cheap. If I dont have to canibalize the carb, I am toying with the idea of throwing it in the parts tractor (a B10). Is this practical? I don't know. Am I suffering from a mutant strain of 'tractoritis'? Yes. Have I got too much time on my hands? Not really. It's just that the things I should be doing are no fun!

Not sure why Wisconsin engine never seemed to make the garden tractor hall of fame because they were hard pulling old engines. IMO it would be a great transplant.

I agree with Marty. Go for it. I've toyed with putting an 18 Briggs twin in one but didn't want to chop any metal on my 212. I thought I would wait till I got a parts tractor to play with. Sounds like you've got that one covered. All you need now is a coupling.

Dav, I agree with Marty, they were a working engine. Like to see a pic of a 10 HP twin, if we could. Sounds like an interesting swap to say the least. Joe

I found one in a junkyard with a gear reduction box on it. It would be an interesting transplant, go for it. It's just a parts tractor anyway, and just somthing to experiment with.

20+ years ago I built a tractor out of parts from an American Airlines baggage carrier. The engine was a 2 cyl. inline Wisconsin. Behind it I put 2 3 speed transmissions. The baggage carrier had a rear end with sprokets at the axle ends and chains going down to larger sprockets at the wheels. I used this behind the 2 transmissions. With both transmissions in low gear, this thing would just about pull the world. Well, anyway, the Wisconsin was a dependable, strong powerhouse of an engine. I wish I had another one like it!

Dav, The Wisconsin THD engine is 18hp @ 3600 RPM's. The carb is a very common/standard Zenith updraft type. Gravely also used this carb. I'd think there would be a MAJOR real estate problem trying to stuff one of these monsters into a large frame Simplicity/AC frame. Check Stens or Primeline/NAPA for a cheaper than Zenith carb kit. Tom(PK)

Marty, There are alot of "tube frame" Bolens tractors out there with the Wisconsin single cylinder engine in them. The combination of torque and 6-speed trans worked well. I sold mine only to let me have more space for my "simple" tractors. GregB

That is a very good engine but like said before there will be a major problem with fitting it in the frame it is quite a bit longer that the single. The only problems I have seen on them is that when they get hot they don't like to start. Bob