Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Front PTO

Terry_Hart

I have AC 716 with a mid mount PTO. That requires a long belt for the snow blower. I was thinking about an electric clutch mounted on the front of the engine an use the old blower mount and a shorter belt. Does anybody have thoughts on this?

To make the 716 work with the mid-PTO you must have made some modifications to the tractor. What did you do to make it work? The 716 originally used the front engine PTO for the snowblower. Electric clutches can be finicky with the tolerances, I like the mechanical clutch myself.

My first hand experence is if you can operate without a electric cluch do it. They are convenient but when they give it up you may need a big bank account to fix it most cases. The longer belt, if every thing is in allignement and tight will help everything run better and longer. The long belt adds as a shock absorber to the engine from the load. Just go to a old time thrasher reunion and see the tractor about 20 feet or more away from the thrasher and ask why the long belt? It acts as a flywheel and a shock absorber to the tractor. A shorter belt is well cheaper but the advantages of a longer belt can be amazing. Just eat a big brick in your snow blower with a short belt. You may find bent shafts and a distroyed belt. With a long belt your chances are better that are the belt will stretch enough and fly off befor you do to much damage. Thats from my experence only.

OK, you have sold me. I will keep the long belt. It is expensive almost $50. The Simplicity belt for this set up is too long, so I use one from a Toro. There have been no modifications. You have to move the idler pulley on the PTO to the lower tab is all. It works, just long. The one on it now lasted all last season and has rolled, so it is on borrowed time. That is why I was considering the short belt system. My old 3210 Landlord, used the short belt with a 2 pulley hitch (one is spring loaded for a clutch). Maybe I will try a slightly shorter belt the the mid-mount PTO.

Hi, Just had a customer in last night that wants a blower for 700, says that years back they had a 400 AC that had an electric clutch and every time they engaged it it threw the belt off. He demands the mechanical clutch that you can "feather". We have recommended the new style long belt drive for a number of years on 7100s. The front belts can like to roll and break the cords. To creaate a mid drive on the 3400 or 7000 or 700 you need to address the problem that both pullies are on the pivot arm and when the pull side is really loaded the arm pulls forward and completly slacks the slack side belt. My 2 cents worth and its free, value accordingly. Al Eden

Al, I've noticed that on SOME of the tractors. While on others the mid-mount is split so the lead side pully is stationary and the return is the only one floating on the spring. Is there any data on why there is a difference or when they changed.

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
Al, I've noticed that on SOME of the tractors. While on others the mid-mount is split so the lead side pully is stationary and the return is the only one floating on the spring. Is there any data on why there is a difference or when they changed.
The 3400 and 7000 series (and possibly the very early 7100 series) had both pulleys on the pivot arm. The 7100 series and on mounted one pulley on the pivot arm and the other pulley on the frame. The pulley on the frame can be adjusted to keep proper tension on the belt. There is a red and green scale on a decal behind the pivot arm. Proper belt tension keeps the pivot in the "green." There are two "ears" on the pivot arm that the other pulley can be moved to. One tab is for the mower, the other for the snowthrower. BTW - I use both manual and electric clutches. Either can fail (usually when you need them most). The manual clutch linings do wear out. That's why I keep spares in stock. As long as belts are properly aligned and adjusted, I don't have problems with rolling or jumping. Plus, I use OEM belts. Perhaps I'm partial, but my favorite setup is the hybrid hitch I made when I mounted a Kubota snowthrower on my 7012. I now use the same type hitch on my newer tractors with Simplicity snowthrowers. Two short (mower) belts instead of one long one. That eliminates stocking a spare $50 belt. No pulley move of adjustment needed either. No bends and twists like a front PTO. Seems like the best of all worlds. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/do_it/snohitch-6.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/dutch/jan26-sb3.jpg[/img]