Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

9 horse Briggs ran good today !

Marc P. Cyr

I finally got it running after a complete teardown and rebuilt it myself with new piston rings, valve grind, new valve springs, and rebuilt the carb myself. The cylinder bore was fine so just had it honed. I had to grind some off the valve stems for clearance. It took me 6 months, and I celebrated today by driving it up and down my dead end street this afternoon and round and round in circles in the snow on my front yard. The carb setting wasn't easy until a couple specks of dirt got worked out, now the front wheels raise up off the ground at full throttle in second gear when I let up the pedal. I have 2 link chains from Sears on stock rear tires.

Like being at a NASCAR race when they say "Gentlemen start your engines" and the machines come to life, only you built this one.

When I took the carb bowl off and looked inside it I noticed that there was a lot of corrosion everywhere on the inside of the bowl from years of water and gasoline. I suspect that this could be a problem if some of the corroded metal specks break loose and plug up the carb inside so I'm going to try to glass bead blast the corrosion off and then apply a gasoline proof coating that contains some chromium that gets cured at high temp. I could just replace the bowl with a new one but it will probably start to corrode just like the old one. Corrosion is not good. I will test this coating for a while to see if it stops corrosion inside the carburetor.

Also check the gas tank. For years mine had rust on the bottom that would clog the carb. Also would clog filters in no time. I ran a 9hp Landlord for years and I tell you it had the heart of a 16 horse. I could whip wet snow pretty far with it.

Yes, I have some pictures of my 1963 B10 in my area. The ammo box on the back of the seat keeps a 40 channel CB radio dry and an external speaker mounts on top. 24 " single trucker antenna pulls in skip from the Southern States sometimes. It's cheap entertainment when you're working by yourself on or off your tractor, but I remove the box for tractor shows because it's not original equipment.

I think a few others here would agree that a nice Icom 706 mark 2 g with a few antennas for the Hf bands would be a lot of fun It would be great fun on 6 meters with the openings.I might have to try that at a few shows .Bob