Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ignition: 12V vs. Magneto

RobS

When I restored my 210 a few years back and rebuilt the engine I took advantage of having the battery and installed a 12 volt automotive coil (with internal resistor) and a condenser and did away with the magneto ignition. At that time, I mentioned this in the Gallery and also did a Post. For months I had rcvd dozens of inquiries about this conversion. Just curious if others have also gone this route?

I have 4 tractors, 2 3112Vs and B-112 B-212 and I have coverted them all to the battery type ignition with auto coils. They sure seem to start a lot better especially in cold weather.

Personally I've never had any trouble with the Mags but as easy as the convertion is I wouldn't hesitate to use it if I had a problem instead of pulling the engine.

I have a 10 Hp B/S that I converted 20 years ago because of a dead magneto. I am getting ready to convert my AC713S to battery because of a temperature related magneto breakdown. Of course my Kohler engines already had battery ignition.

Jim V showed me the auto coil set up at the last Brooklyn show. I looked it up in the club and put it on my non running Big Ten. Liked it so much that when my friend had mag trouble on her (now my)Sears Suburban, I installed the same set up. Every two or three weeks I walk thru my neighbor's junkyard to look for 'treasures'(my Fiat 850 and 2 of my VW Cabriolets came from there). I keep an eye out for old coils that might be suitable for conversions

I personally like the magneto ign for not needing a battery or generator, all 4 tractors are running mags and any of the ignition problems I've had would have affected an external coil the same way with the exception of one bad ignition coil which was bad when I got the tractor. Of course it was just well since the mouse condo had to go....