Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Likely Cause of Problem

MPH

Got my hydro lift unit all back together with new o rings and a good cleaning. Hooked up the 18 volt drill, seemed to work fine for about half a doz cycles. Then it started pulling down the drill, like it does at the end of the stroke, whenever I try to extend the ram out. Goes in just fine, and comes out slowly in the float position. I turned out the light for the nite, not sure where to look for the problem so I'll sleep on it and maybe get some ideas here.

Marty, There should be an "out" position with the float position a little farther beyond that. It shouldn't put pressure on the system in the float position.

Hello, Since I had a few minutes and had lost track of the other hydro-topic, I thought I would throw this out there... Not really related to the cylinder but to the pump unit. Since mine was leaking around the shaft seal, I tried to find a seal for it with no luck. Talked to some local hydraulic shops and did some research and found out that these pumps are Parker-Hanifin (Parker)pumps. Hence the P-H cast in the housing. Tore my pump apart and found the gasket gone(circled).

More phone calls and came up with this.

It does not include the o-ring that seals the resevoir to the pump body or the seal around the bolt that goes through the resevoir but has everything else you need as pictured. In case the picture does not show the part number it is a Parker #686632K and was $37.60. Seems kind of pricey but I needed the paper gasket and the bakalite piece was worn in my pump. now it works perfect with no leaks (on the pump side). Going after the cylinder when I tear the tractor down...in my spare time :) Hope this helps Andy

Well your pictures didn't show Andy but the info on the name of this pump is great. Was wondering what the PH stood for. You happen to have a phone # for the folks you ordered this through. Maybe they have the parts for the cyl. also.

We deal with a few Parker distributers. I'll try to remember to take the # and make a few calls as soon as I go south and see what they cost me. If it's avaliable I'm sure I could get it. How many of you would be interested in a kit? I might get a few more bucks if I got a dozen or so kits at one time.

With 2 of the units now I'd take one Dave just for all speciality items there. Be an expensive shaft seal but with the # off the existing one I'm gonna try U.S. Bearing for that.

Andy, That is a very impressive find. I think it's well worth the money to have the correct parts. I have two hydraulic units and I have wanted to rebuild them but was allways concerned about getting the correct parts. Thanks for sharing this info. It's articles and research like this that helps us all out. Al

quote:
Well your pictures didn't show Andy but the info on the name of this pump is great. Was wondering what the PH stood for. You happen to have a phone # for the folks you ordered this through. Maybe they have the parts for the cyl. also.
Hello, I don't understand why the pictures didn't show...When I came into the topic today I can view them... I read through the sticky and followed the instructions. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I did this about 2 months ago and I have so many numbers chicken scratched on my sheets, but I think I started with: RG Group 650 N. State st York PA 17403-1032 (717) 846-9300 Then I was referred to: Parker Hydraulic Technology Center Technical services (616)694-9411 Be prepared to have a company name. Since I work for the Federal Government, this worked very well for me. You have to have a model number. If you look on the sides of the mounting flange the numbers will be stamped there. This is where I received the kit number to order from a Parker distributor. I ordered my kit (2)from: Applied Fluid Power Inc. 7701 Whitepine Rd Richmond Va. 23237-2212 (804)275-1436 I asked about the cylinder packing and o-rings with them (Parker rep)when I was looking for the pump rebuild kit. He said unless I had some numbers from the cylinder(which I could not find)I would be better off going to a local hydraulic shop for rebuilding. This is what I was going to do when I got the cylinder removed along with new hoses. Sorry I don't know first/names so, MPH (Marty ?) hope this helps for the cylinder. Al, your welcome. Glad to help as I have received so much help from this site and the people here although I don't post much.. Also met a few excellent people in my area (Ambler and John H)through here. So anything I can give back I'm all for it. Andy