Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
hufhouse

Frozen Throttle Cable

hufhouse
My 7117 is stored in a small barn. I haven't used it in 3-4 weeks. The last time I used it, I was pushing around some dirt on a dry day in November. Yesterday, we got enough snow to play in..I mean plow. Then, the temperature dropped below zero. I went out to start the tractor and the throttle cable was FROZEN solid. I removed it and brought it into the house. Within a few minutes, it was freed up. It dripped about 10-12 drops of dirty water out of it. My question...how did that water get in there? Any ideas? When I stopped the tractor this time, I put the throttle on "high" just in case it happens again. I also used some WD-40 on the cable to dry to displace the water.

rokon2813
The answer is condensation. :D If its the metal style cable without the plastic sheath, spray the whole lengght with WD 40. If it has the sheath, try to spray some in from each end and work the cable back and forth several times. repeat. The movement of the cable will eventually work the penetrant all the way in.

MPH
If you have enough cable sticking out the end to spare a little might be worth while cutting it off nice and sq. and pulling the inside out, clean the rust off, squirt WD through it from one end til it runs clean. Reinstall with some graphit powder.

thedaddycat
You can get a cable luber device from motorcycle shops or catalogs too I'm sure. It fits over the end of the sheath and seals it. Then you put the little spray tube into it from the can of your lube of choice and it forces the lube through the cable.