Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

The Simplicity Sunstar infection

Jason

Hi I was just wondering how many members on here have been infected by the Simplicity Sunstar/Duetz Allis/Agco Allis 1900 series/ and Massey Ferguson 2920H bug? I have :)! I currently own an Agco Allis 1920H, and just recently picked up a Duetz Allis 1918H with a blade. I got to say that I am a very big fan of these tractors, they are well built and very dependable when you got work to do. I regularly use my 1920H to cut grass in the summer and blow snow in the winter! The 1920H has plenty of power to handle a 48 inch 2 stage snow blower! I am really happy with my 1920H and I hate to see the day when it will have to be retired:( I don't think I will ever upgrade to a Legacy tractor(even though it can be tempting)as my 1920H and now a 1918H will suit me just fine for years to come. Take Care Jason B

I know what you mean. I now have 2 1920s. The power steering and hydraulics grow on you. I can see me ditching some of my 7000 and 7100 series sovereigns. I do note that the deck clogs more with that bar across the throat. The speed is great.

I also have two Sunstars. Both were 20hp's originally, but the one has a blown motor. It's getting a 25hp Kohler Command this spring. The other is still the Magnum 20 and runs & looks great. Works nice with the blower and cab in the winter but with the hills I have, the 60" deck scalps more than a 48" deck. So I'm also putting together a 917 with a 20hp Honda engine & a 48" deck for mowing. I have power steering & hydrulic lift but am not putting it on this one. I have another toy that may recieve both of these items. Dan

I was going to trade my 7790 for a 20hp sunstar with a two stage blower once. The 7790 was at the dealers for axel and transmission seals. I had it for about a month after the dealer returned the 7790 he said to keep the sunstar and try it. After useing it during a few snow storms I called the dealer and had him pick it up. The 7790 would blow circles around it. The 7790 at 18½ hp had more lugging power than the 20hp and the single stage blower worked better in all snow conditions than the two stage. To this day I am glad I changed my mind and did not trade.

Nothing like firsthand experiance from someone who has used both in various conditions. Thanks Maynard. Doesn't the Sunstar use a PTO drive instead of the mule drive and belt design? I've often wondered whitch was the more effecient transfer of power.

I've got a Sunstar 20 that was the first year that they made them. I just repowered it this past summer with a new Magnum 20 from Small Engine Warehouse. I don't ever see retiring it as long as it can be repaired. The power steering and shaft drive both front and rear will spoil you if your not careful.

I believe the single stage blower is much better than the 3 stage. I would love to have a 7790. This winter I will compare the 1920 to my 7119 with a 20 hp magnum.

I like the Sunstars also, I'm currently looking at either a Sunstar or PowerMax. However all the Sunstars I find do not have the rear PTO. How hard is the rear PTO and hitch to find for a tiller? Steve

Steve, I bought a tiller rear, pto and rear lift separately from a dealer it was on a used tractor escalating his asking price. I believe I paid $800.

Ambler - I removed that bar under the discharge to prevent plugging. Helped alot! I don't worry too much about scalping as we live out in the country and my lawn is rough as a washboard anyhow - which is why I have a WELL BUILT 1914. I just got my first opportunity to plow snow with it yesterday. I have a 42" blade but now wish I had a 46". That Sunstar is heavy enough that I feel I would have no trouble pushing a wider blade. Tom

Steve: I just bought an engine speed rear PTO from a guy here in Michigan about a month ago on ebay. It was brand new, and right after he posted another one, for I believe $300.00, I paid $250.00 for mine. If you want to contact him let me know. If you get the simp. tiller you want the engine speed PTO and rear lift group. If you get the 3-point hitch you need the other PTO (1000rpm I think), one won't work with the other. I have a 1920H, 1918H, and a 20GTH Sunstar, with loader, I have moved a lot of Michigan snow over the past 12 years with my single stage blower. Can't think of anything I would trade it for.

With the 3 poit you need the 2000 rpm pto with gear reduction. John have you posted pictures of the 3 point yet? It'll drive Eddie wild.

I have had opportunities to aquire these tractors but have always turned them down. A couple of weeks ago I picked up a DA 1920H Ultima with a 1996 M20 engine in it, and a sweepster brush (I got it with a high bid that was very low...only interested in the engine). Front end needed some work ... after looking it over more closely, the front end was completely shot! (from carrying that heavy brush its whole life). I owned the tractor 2 hrs and sold it for more than double my money. Before I won the bid I did some checking with my network connections to find some attachments for the tractor and found slim pickings. I was glad I was able to unload it quickly; the tractor has some neat features, but has no common connections to all of my other tractors, attachments, or parts. Has anyone owned a tractor for less time?

Ambler: the pictures were posted in October. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39210 I still don't have any 3-point attachments. Have'nt found a rake or blade in my price range yet. (which right now is very cheap)

Steve: That other PTO is listed again on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=82242&item=4345795652&rd=1 Looks like he came down on his price.

Amber, I've thought about running a 48" deck on the Sunstar but I also enjoy running the 900 series tractors. They don't have the comforts of the Sunstar but with the right options and the steering modified I find these tractors nice too. Hoss, I've heard great things about Al's kits but already have a 25 hp waiting in the barn. I also have a water cooled 3 cylinder Kubota 18?-20? hp diesel that would be nice in it but there's way too many issues to make it work well. It will maybe go into a homemade garden tractor built back in the 60's by my dads's cousin to closely portray my dad's homemade tractor "Peppy". Now you know where my name comes from, the "Peppy" is what made me love garden tractors the way I do. Dan

I have 4 7100 sovereigns, I love them. The Ultima is growing on me though. My primary mowing tractor is a 7119 with a 20 horse magnum. I now have enough attachments for both series to compare performance

The big difference is the power curve between the gas and Diesel engine. You can load the Diesel engine and it will lose some rpm and then hold that rpm. When you load the gas engine it will continue to loose power and rpm unless you back off on the ground speed. The gas engine is just no comparision to the lugging power of the diesel. No doubt the Sunstar would do better with a single stage but I still feel there would be no comparision to the Diesel.

There is a post where it was referred to. But that tractore had a sweeper mounted on it. I also think I have read other posts referring to it. Evidently something must have been done. Something like early /late 9020s?