Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cab Heater

toad270

A friend of mine had a VW bug and the heaters never worked right in those things. His answer was a 12 volt hair dryer hook to his heater hoses it didn't warm up the car very well but it sure did keep the windows defrosted. here is a link for a heater. http://www.skingcompany.com/detail.asp?product_id=6000b I did a search in google and came up with a lot of results.

Todd thats a good tip. I saw a 12v defroster made like a blow dryer at a local Pilot Travel Center a few days ago for around $20. Anyone looking to try Todds tip might look for one of these heaters at a nearby truck stop.

I have a 12V rear window defroster mounted on the roof inside of my cab. I only use it to defog the windshield when the humidity is high.

At 135 pounds I look for whatever heat I can get.I'll try some sort of heat when I biuld my cab, but for now I guese I'll stick with my fireplace inside after tractor time.

I got one of those heaters on Ebay a while back but am concerned with the amp draw of 12.5 on my battery. With only running a 15 amp alternator on the Kohler with 4 lights, power rotator, and electric pto I think I'm way past my limit. Anybody have any experience with this situation?

Kris, you'd deff. be over and running off the bat. Is there room to add a delco alt. under the hood or piggyback off the snowblower so you'd have extra amperage. That would easily take care of the load.

Kris, think you may need to add an extra alternator soon. Way to get a heatted cab is to retrofit a newer water cooled engine, that was my first thought when looking over that Honda 5518, Haaa a heated cab.

I was thinking of running a alternator off a car or truck with an internal regulator. In fact I just thought, I have a spare out in the barn on the Chevy parts truck (HHMM). You guys sure have me thinking, I'd just have to figure out the pulleys for rpm of the alternator and I could run it off the side shaft of the BGB

The chevy's use about a 6" pully on the harmonic balancer to drive the alt. I haven't figured what the ratio is exactly, but with a 4" or so pully(standard isn't it) on the gearbox it should turn plenty fast. You don't have to turn the alt. but a few thousand rpm to get full output. And the redution of ratio would help not to drag the engine too much. Sounds like a plan to me.

Tiller drive sounds like a good idea. Sorry if I gave any body a headache from thinking to much LOL I would say you could leave the standard pulley on the alternator but I'm not a pro at this If you don't have a hydro pump maybe you could locate it there and run off of that pulley.