Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

gilson g-16

jpknautz

hey guys im restorin a gilson g-16 with a 16hp briggs for my girlfriend and i wanna know where i can get some info on the year and to get parts and decals for it if you guys could help i would really gratefull she went to her first tractor pull on saturday and know she cant wait to pull the tractor thanks jpk5

There used to be a couple Gilson/Wards site on Yahoo. Havent looked at them in a couple years since I traded my 16 hp Wards/Gilson for mail check favor with a friend when I leave home for work.

As for year, if it still has the original engine, check the last set of numbers on the blower cover, this is the Code. The first two digits are the year of manufacture. For more info on the tractor you may want to check out the Gilson yahoo group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gilsonlawntractors/ I hope this helps. Chris

Wouldn't she appreciate the tractor more is she got her hands dirty and helped to build it? ...and she will of course need she own set of tools...maybe even need to learn to weld...and for convenience she will need to store this stuff near the tractor, which is at your place. :-) David

What kind of parts are you looking for? I stripped out a G16 last year and still have a few parts around if its the right time frame...

• 2 weeks later...
You can also check with toro dealerships for info as toro bought out gilson and Lawnboy several years ago.A friend of mine owns a Toro Dealership if you can provide numbers I may be able to get you some help. Otherwise there is this little shop in Grafton Wisconsin Called Mooses Sales And Service, The Owners Name is Roger Musbach He Was a Gilson Dealer For Many Many Years and he is toro as well could try chatting with him Mooses # is 262-377-9919

If you could send me a close up picture of the decals I can probably have them made for you. Cost would be about 12 to 14 bucks. Local shop here scans them into a computer and the machine cuts them.

Joe, If this is the actual beast you are looking for, pm me an E-mail address and I'll send you some more pics. It seems I have most of the front pto, this rear minus the gear box, a can with all the nuts, bolts, couple pulleys, other misc. stuff, and maybe a couple other items. I sold the gearbox, I'm sure of that. the driveshaft was around here but haven't laid my hands on it yet. It might have gotten tossed. [img]/club2/attach/rokon2813/jan04850.jpg[/img]