Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

BGB..How much hp will they safely take ?

DavidG

I am looking into an engine swap in a non-Simplicity/AC tractor, but because of how I need to couple the engine to the tranny , I need to use a BGB. The engine develops between 18 and 22 hp @ 3600 rpms, depending on what I do to modify it. I am only familiar with the Bgb's from the early B10's and landlords,and don't know if they would hold up, or if I should look for one from a different/larger model tractor. This isn't going to be used for competitive pulling or anything like that. It's just a "because I want to" project, so it won't be used and abused ,just everday chores. Any suggestions ? Thanks Dave

There's been deep discusion on this before. Do a search and several very informative posts should show up. But just to through it out there, they are in the large frame tractors takeing 18-20 HP now. you'd have to snatch it pretty hard to bust it up if it's still tight.

Kent could answer better, but I think he was told by Simplicity that they are rated for up to 30 hp. i know I ran 4 different pulling tractors this summer and the only one I ever damamged was my personal B12, and that was pushing snow. Trust me though, that tractor is SEVERLY abused. Go for it, it will take it if its in good shape.

Unless I'm mistaken, they're rated for 40+ HP... There are photos in the Gallery on Simple trACtors of BGB tractors driven by both an air-cooled VW engine and a water-cooled Subaru engine.... You wouldn't want to be dumping the clutch on them at 5,000 RPM, but...........

I have a right angle gear box that I know will handle almost anything. It is a little bigger than the simplicity but it would fit with a little work it is very stut.It would cost a fortune to send it.Bob

We run well over 20hp through the BGB with our pulling tractors. The limit of the drivetrain is the tube axle/differential setup. About 35-40hp is all that system can handle under tractor pulling conditions even when its all new parts.