Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3416 Tractor

windsorfish

Hey guys and/or girls, I'm thinking about buying a simplicity tractor. It is an early 1980s(?) 3416s. It looks like its in pretty rough shape and it hasn't started in about two years. The owner claims that it does run when charged and filled with gas. Can anyone give me some advice? I know it has the three point hydrolics and the hydrostatic transmission. Is this a good tractor? What should I offer him? Thanks 8)

Tough dependable tractor. An s suffix denotes a shuttle drive with belts, not a Hydrostatic trans. Still a good tractor but not worth as much. Price depends on condition, shape of attachments,and how bad you want it compared to how bad he want's to keep it. Go back to the Simpletractors heading and you can look up what the tractor was new and the avaliable attachments. That should help you know what it's capabal of and how much you can expect to use it.

3400 series should be an early 70's, not early 80's. Like Dave said, the 'S' should denote shuttle drive. Its possible someone changed it over or changed the hood in its life time. Not sure what you mean by 3 pt hydro lift. Didn't think Simplicity put 3 pt hitches on back then.

I did some more research. It is a 1973 3416H. It definately has the 3 point hitch. I saw that myself. Can those be added? I'm thinking I'm going to have to do some minor restoring and possible rebuilding. I'm very new to this so it should be interesting. I've noticed that the 3400 series is not as common as many of the others. Is it going to be hard for me to find parts?

It's a great tractor, especially if you "steal" it, which many folks are able to do since the tractor is so old. It's similar to my Homelite T-12, but better in that parts are much easier to come by. Many new parts are still available from Simplicity (I'd recomend buying through Jack's Small Engine, one of the site's sponsors) and used parts are also very available (from many of our memebers as well as Ebay). There's a posting on the site by Smilin' Sam about what to look for when buying a tractor, it's a good read. Now all you have to do is find "what price a willing seller and buyer will agree to". Welcome to the club and good luck with the tractor.

The hitch on Simplicity/Allis Chalmers garden tractors is unique to these tractors and is not a true 3 point hitch as in other tractors ie cat 0, cat 1, cat 2, and cat 3, 3 point hitches. The 3414H did not come with hydraulic lift. It would have a manual lift or an electric lift. The 3300/3400 series were the first RBT (running board tractors) and most of the parts outside of sheet metal are the same all the way up to and including the year 2000 Sovereign series. Parts are not hard to find and most parts are still available from a dealer.

Chris, if you want to see what a true 3 pt hitch looks like you can go to SimpletrACtors and look at the PowerMax tractors. I understand what your seeing here hooks at 3 pts but like Maynard said, the system is unique to these tractors. Or, being in farm country like Windsor Co., stop by a JD dealer and look at the system on farm tractors, thier just bigger.

Chris: This is a picture of a 3-point hitch on a Sunstar.

Although what you are seeing does in fact have three attachment points, it is not a 3-point hitch. I believe Simplicity refers to it as a "Hitch Group". Welcome to the board, I hope you get your tractor and join our little group. There is a world of help and info here as you have already found out. Easy $10.00 worth.

I'm trying to get a 3416 right now myself, it has no spark, flat tires, comes with tiller , snowthrower and deck and it is probably going to be mine for a honey bee. Mike

My first 'plicity was a 3410. Still have it. 3400's are large frame,tough tractors. Repowered mine with a newer 11hp Briggs.