Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

More on cab heater ideas

Al

Hi. I just got an anti icing kit for Roma 3112 for his new CH. Since the stove included in the kit won't work on his muffler, I took a new run at a heat source for his kit. I will take a picture of what I made for his application. I am taking the hot air from the muffler heat shield. I belive this source could be used with insulated hoses and a blower motor for a defroster. This would only work with the 7100/Sovereign family. Someone could devise a jacket for other mufflers that could pull air from around the ourside of the muffler. I talked to John a little about my thoughts on this. He is NOT aware that I have revised his kit before he sees it, but if he reads this he will know. I will advise him soon. Just saw the cab heat post and thought I would sick the dogs on this problem. I will take some pics tomorrow and post them. I will put prints in his kit. Even on a B110 you could fab a jacket that would go around the outside of the muffler with about 3/4" spacing. Put a 2 1/2" hose port and hook an insulated hose to it and pipe it to the input of a squirrel cage blower and the output of the blower to the windshield. The hose would pull air from the space between the muffler and the jacket. Lotsa BTUs there. Muffler jacket needs to be designed so NO exhaust gets sucked in the heating air. Could become a 2004 Volkswagen Bug or a 2004 model A Ford heater. Get your thinking caps on. Al Eden

Al, Isn't there someway we can make a connection from the hot air that is blown from the engine off the head? You already have the hot air blowing over the head out the front of the engine, if there was a way we could get that hot air ducted back to the cab it would work I think unless you would be sucking exhaust but I don't believe so. You would have to install a valve in the duct in case you got too warm, reminds exactly just like what's used on the volkswagen bug. This way you wouldn't have to use any amp draw or fan off the battery. I think I might have to get out my tin snips and metal brake to make a heat collector from the head?

Useing the heat off the engine is the way t go. That's what they do on most CAT equipment. This way if you have a small exhaust leak there's no way to get exhaust inside the cab. But that's easyer said than done.

Hi, Anythings possible, the impossible just takes a little longer. Another thought. Wrap a 1/2" copper tube tightly around the muffler [several turns] and use a heater core and blower. Circulate the antifreeze with some type of pump. I am not going to try this, [no tiime] I am just trying to stimulate thought. I have so stay focused on my John Deere 318 and 420 kits. My big problem is my want to far exceeds my can do time. Al Eden

Hi, Another thought, box the air off the cylinder and blow it through a heater core, them pipe it with heater hose to another core in the cab with a fan. Liquid may be a more efficient way to transfer the heat. Just a thought. Al Eden

boy that post made some people put there thinking caps on. But its good to see people coming together to try and figure out a problem.

AL he just saw the post :D Too bad you and i are so far away and all this help/freindship for $10.00/yr thanks again. After you and I talked last week al i went around the house looking for some kind of 12volt fan that i could adapt to a a hose and then to a heater box. I would be curious to see what you came up with, feel free to keep what you have for me longer to post pics or whatever you need to do to help everybody else. I did come up with a fan that may work mabee now dont laugh here , it is a CPU fan off an intel chip it probably is way underpowerd but what got me to thinking was a nice round 2 &1/2 in x 1/4 in round lip all around the circumfrence of it. i figures fome flexi hose would connect to it nicely and there would be very minimal current draw. I am no engineer but it is free we shall see i guess, i am sure the folks here have better thoughts.

Guys, be careful if you experiment with a liquid filled heat exchanger. A muffler produces enough heat to boil a liquid. Unless you incorporate devices to address expansion and pressure, you may find you have built an exploding boiler.

Sounds like getting a 1,2 or 3 cylinder water cooled diesel engine crammed into the tractor then running a heater core is where you guys might end up, lol. You know, that doesn't sound half bad now that I think about it??

Using heat off the engine would have less of a chance of picking up exhaust than off the muffler. As Al mentions, it think it would require an auxillary squirrl cage (heater) fan as I doubt if the flywheel fan would create enough pressure to push much air that far. Also, it would have to be set up so that it the day got worm and someone blocked the cab duct that the engine would still get cooling. They are much larger with much large oil pumps, but some Deutz air cooled diesels run engine oil to the heater. The heater core needs to be able to withstand about 100 psi however.

Well you yall could just get a 12v volt hair dryer and put it there to clear the windsheild. Or find a VW exhaust heat exchange an put on the muffler with a computer cooling fan that will work on 12 volts and ducting. I think you could bolt the heat exchange to the frame some way. Glad we don't have the cold down here to have to worry about staying warm in the winter. Ken

Hi Attached are some pictures of the Kohler anti icing stove. This is out of one of the CH kits. The stove clamps on a pipe to allow hot air to be sucked in past the pipe. The box is too long to fit on the pipe out of the head to the muffler as it is shown in the picture with it held up by the muffler. Next we have the heat shield on the muffler on one of our repowered 7116s. Then a picture of a modified heat shield. The mod. heat shield is shown laid over the original one. The original would need to be removed and the modified one installed. In the Kohler kit is an air cleaner cover with a hose port and a hose to connect to the stove. This hose will now go to the modified heat shield. It appears to me that a 2" port could be installed in the heat shield and a non flammable hose connected to the port and a squirrel cage blower could move the air to the windshield. I would think a piece of the automotive hot air to aircleaner hose would work for a foot or so and then a better insulated hose could be used. Just some food for thought.

I sure hope this works. I forgot to put the spaces between and I hope I got them where they belong. What do you think? Any potential? My 2 cents worth and its free, value accordingly. Al Eden

Al, it's nothing you're doing wrong. The software doesn't like the file format coming out of your camera or graphics package. I edited your first post. I think I got all four pictures to display correctly.

Kent, These were resized in photo shop, I think I know what I did. In this version of photoshop I have 4, I forgot to save the rework as save a copy so I could save it as a jpeg. I have gotten in trouble trying to save a jpeg before and a friend showed me how, I haven't done it for a while and forgot. Thanks so much, just delete then next post. Al

AL thanks for all the help! As one of the members suggested I looked into "the surplus center" for a cheapie squirrel-type blower. They had a few in 12v and they were real innexpensive. I went to NAPA and they had all sizes of that heat resistent manifold to air cleaner hose. All i need to do is find some place to get some insulated hose to make it the lase several feet. I have had no luck so far, was thinking of an HVAC place but I am not a contractor so I cant buy it there even if they did have it. I checked lowes and HD with no luck, time to check out some other hardware stores ect.

Or How about heat pipe technology to safely and effectively move the heat of the engine to the radiator located in the cab? Make your own? [url]http://www.benchtest.com/heat_pipe1.html[/url]

Hi, I just shipped John his stuff. I took some pics of the Kohler kit and a 2nd heat shield I made for him. This shows the new air cleaner cover and hose. Also the 2nd shield I am sending. This one has a Port for the air cleaner and a 2" port for heat

This pic shows the new carb air cleaner base with the door closed.

next is the same with the door open

Last is the base turned over to show the door.

Just in case I selected the wrong file, this is a repeat of what was supposed to be the first pic.

As you can see the door is opened in the Summer and the blower blows cool air into the air cleaner cover. Just like it comes from the factory. When you close the door the blower air is shut off and the intake air comes through the hose to the stove to the carb. The bottom view shows how the door works. These work very well on the CH engines. They as are all of the lean burn emissions engines are quite cold blooded and like the heat in the cold. John Santa has this in his little brown truck. If you are into peeking into your presents. Al Eden

Hi, I have tried to do the red X fix on above a couple of times and I am not doing something right. Guess it needs someone brighter than me. Can someone help fix this. Thanks. Al