Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

More on cab heater ideas

Al

I have been reading all these ideas and happen to have an old Honda that I got from a buddy's sister. When Jim was over today I opened the hood(for the first time) and guess what.... It's a 13 horse water cooled with a horizontal crank...... Hmmmmmmm.... I wonder how much it would take to put it into the 7114, mount the cab and put in a heater core.....

That owt not take you but a couple a days to find out.lol Did you get a rad. with it? or would you be stuck figuring out that on your own.

Bummer Kirk, :( I'm betting thats the Honda you tried to give me a year ago. ;) Sounds like the makings for a real interesting project.

Be hard to give up these ole cast iron Briggs, but if I had a cab and a water cooled Honda I think I'd be a bussy boy with dreams of a new warm toy.

Here are a few pics for you all to look at, maybe generate some additional ideas. This is the tractor the engine is in right now. It had been sitting for several years, and I think it would be a good idea to make sure it will run before I try the swap... I never even looked at this thing more than just a glance, didn't realize it's a twin instead of a single. I guess the CI Briggs thinking is just ingrained in me.[:0][:0][:0] [img]attach/thedaddycat/DCP04482.JPG[/img] This is the right side of the engine. I see it has an oil filter, guess it must be pressure lubed. The grass all over it was from the lawn care guys at her house weed wacking around it all the time. [img]attach/thedaddycat/DCP04483.JPG[/img] The muffler is off the left side. It has a fromt clutched PTO pulley which at first glance I thought was an electric clutch. It is mechanical, cable operated from a lever on the right side of the dashboard. You can see the cable for it running next to the coolant overflow line to the reservoir. So far the biggest concern is the front-to-back length of the Honda package. It looks like it would be a tight fit but if any of the Simplicity trctors would take it, it would be the longer 7100 series. I would also have to look at the motor mounts and figure out how to adapt it to the Simplicity frame. [img]attach/thedaddycat/DCP04484.JPG[/img] Any ideas are welcome.

Looks like a winner to Kirk. Maybe if you wantted it in a good FDT the radiator could be mounted on the front of the grill and then made to look appealling. Did a litle searching around a Honda site for more info on imp. availablity for that 5518, 4wd,4ws sitting in Fairbanks. Seems to be pretty loyal fans looking for part in your end of the country. After you pull the engine, you may get a couple hundred outta whats left.

Another idea on cab heaters. Yesterday as I was walking into K-Mart they had a 120 watt 12 volt ceramic heater with a cigarette socket plug. I'm not sure how much heat this would put out, but it would be relatively easy to hook up.

• 2 weeks later...
GUYS Minor update, i finally had time to put on the anti-icing kit (as al pictured above) it went on in a snap! Had just enough time to put that on and make up a "stock list " of things i may need to work on the heater. I wish i could do more but I had other bugs to fix (remote chute deflector) ect and time did not permit. I did have some help but his assistance was limited. take care john [img]/club2/attach/roma3112/P1020096_edited.JPG [/img]

I have one of those helpers too. She is a long hair calico. My son calls her my "puppy cat" because she is always with me when I am working on the tractors or anything else in the back yard. If I am in the garage, she will come to the door and yell at at me about every half hour to remind me that it is time to take a petting break. Actually, she is pretty good company when I am out there working by myself.

I am not sure if I could classify mine as "helpers or assistants". They are more like supervisors, sitting there watching you work and occasionally giving you permission to give them a milk break.