Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC712- Deere engine?

tillerman

I have found an AC712S with no engine for $20. Bought it. Next day I found a 12 horse Kohler from a John Deere. What do I need to do to make it fit? Merry Christmas everyone!!!

If its an "A" block(pan bolts on from the bottom) the only chance of making it work would be getting some sort of iso mount to set it in, say like Wheel Horse used for just a few years. Then you may also have to cut holes in the frame bottom. Not sure, never tried such a crossover. just thinking about it off the top of my head....

I put a 12HP Kohler from a case into a 410S. It was simple. If your block is the same, I reccommend you check this out: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42149 You got a good deal on the 712. You might just need a different oil pan for the deere engine, as the ones I have seen just use a different oil pan but have the same block. If you could post a picture it would really help.

Hate to admit having this but I've got a JD110 with a 10HP Kohler and its block does not have the ears for the larger oil pans to mount to, this is typical of all the JD's and Cubs. Their engines will not work on an AC without some unusual engineering. Did you already buy the engine? Those engines are valuable to deere guys. Maybe some deere guy has the engine you need sitting around and would trade you for the deere motor.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
Hate to admit having this but I've got a JD110 with a 10HP Kohler and its block does not have the ears for the larger oil pans to mount to, this is typical of all the JD's and Cubs. Their engines will not work on an AC without some unusual engineering. Did you already buy the engine? Those engines are valuable to deere guys. Maybe some deere guy has the engine you need sitting around and would trade you for the deere motor.
My engine from the case did not have the large oil pan on it, it had a small one. It's easy to adapt. Heres a picture of the motor I adapted to fit in the A/C's. All i did was make up some brackets. [img] http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/mounting.JPG [/img]

I haven't bought the engine yet but I will as soon as the weather gets better (12" snow here this morning) for $25 repairable with starter-generator. Thanks for the quick response.

If a driveshaft adapter off a kohler that fits an a/c can be attached, it can be put in the tractor the way I did. I just bolted the adapter on and bolted the engine in. Mine has the s/g too

This engine was on ebay from a deere. It has the flanges needed for the large oil pan to fit an A/C.

If your's dosent, you can get a cast iron oil pan and bolt it on, like what is on my engine.

I've had a Cub Cadet engine on one of my tractors. You will need to fabricate some type of engine mount, since the oil pan is different. It may only require that you drill new holes and make some spacers for the engine to sit on. You may also need a driveshaft adapter. The Cub Cadet had a different bolt pattern on the flywheel. I've done it before, so I know that it can be done.