Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

5116 Won't Run

gr-made

Hello Everyone, I think I came across a good deal today. I bought a 5116 Special with a mower deck and snowthrower for $100.00 from a guy out of the paper. I was with the guy for about 15 minutes and in that time he had 3 other calls for it. The tractor looks great but does not have a spark. He said it was running up till about a month ago and just quit. He said that it would run fine but when you shut it off it would not re-start with the engine warm. He thought it might just be the points. He said he bought the tractor 15 years ago and has never done anything to the engine. I hope he changed the oil though. I pulled the tractor in my barn tonight and gave it a quick once over. It is getting fuel and has compression but both cylinders do not have any spark. It is a 16 horse B&S twin model 402707. I do not have a lot of experience working on lawn mowers so can someone point me in a direction of where to look to get her running again. Thanks GR-MADE

Pull off the ground wire in the front right hand corner and check the spark again. If it still has nothing replace the coil assy with a solid state unit and eliminate the points - if it even has them.

Hi, Jeff is correct, I might meniton that if you change it to solid state there is a plug that you can drive in the hole where the plunger to run the points comes out. When they get worn they tend to pump oil out and it runs down along the outside of the engine. You can just throw the points and condensor away if you put a solid state on. If you choose you can leave the points in, then you don't have to pull the flywheel. Just DON"T hook them up to the solid state. No 2: If you got this and its clean for $100.00 is your real name Jesse James? You stole it. I sold a clean one last month for $895.00. Good luck, Al

I just put a solid state ignition in my '69 Yeoman 627 [which also by the way had no spark] and had excellent results. I opted to remove the flywheel, discard the old points/condensor, and plug the plunger hole. The [B&S] solid state ignition cost me about $40. I've seen non-B&S versions cheaper. It was worth every penny. I believe the original problem to be a short somewhere on the primary side of the coil. After I removed the coil, I inspected it and saw where some of the insulation was melted/deteriorated. Good Luck !!! Tom K.

Hey Just look..... dont change it out! tHats a last resort.. If it has points file them and if it has a solid statse igniton check the wiring! The tractor wont get spark if a main fuse or circuit breaker is out... Just check the wirng and points!!

Thanks guys: Those are some great tips. I did do some digging after I posted the message last night. It is a solid state ignition so I guess we do not have points to worry about. Perhaps this will help us narrow it down. Thanks GR-MADE