Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

answer to "Riddle me this"

ehertzfeld

As prommised here is what I'm working on.

Congradulations to Reed he got the answer right first. Kent, Rod, and Marty got it right as well. If you noticed, both set of rear ends will be independent from each other. I cut out a pivit from a spare frame. both of them will be powered and have working brakes. I'll keep you updated as I get futher along. Elon

You gonna tie the shifters together so you only hae 1 knob? Might better put 2 sets of steering tires up front.lol With all that traction pushing straight, it could get challengeing to turn. Looks good though.

:D Can't wait to see this finished Elon, no doubt about it's uniqeness even as it sits now! Come to think of it now if you put some tracks on those rear tires you'd be almost unstoppable but it would no doubt be a real bear to steer! LOL

Dave I think the shifting will be the most challenging. I think I have idea how to tie them together with one knob. Elon

I've seen the tie in done before like that, it's not too hard. I wish I could scan something for you, I could sketch it out a lot easier than I could desribe it.lol I'm curious to see how you drive the rear tranny with the articulation throwing the belt alinement off. It's for sure it'll be unique when you get done. I'm not trying to pick your project apart. It's just when I see something like this I start wondering how to overcome some things that I see as potential problems. I find when I look at something like this and start talking it through something usually comes up.lol

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
I'm not trying to pick your project apart. It's just when I see something like this I start wondering how to overcome some things that I see as potential problems. I find when I look at something like this and start talking it through something usually comes up.lol
Please speek up with your opinion, comments, and worries. You guys seem to come up withall sorts of things to ponder about.lol Pluss I havent figured everything out yet. Thanks for the complements Elon

Those look like old broadmoor rear ends ? Is that correct ? If so you still have the option down the road to add the low speed pulley kit (aka two speed ). It looks good and I look forward to seeing it in person at a show. Keep up the good work.

I don't see a problems with the belts just think how they twist the belts on the snowblowers and mowers.I agree with the steering problems you might have to think of a way for steering brakes.What are the plans for the back ?maybe flatbed or a hyd. dump bed.For hauling firewood or parts at some swapfest. It would fit right in at Portland swapmeet.Bob

Elon, When the axles twist independent, it will change the belt length. You might try a spring loaded tendioner between the rears with a little longer belt between, and lots of belt guides to keep the belt "funneled" back onto the pulleys. ;)

With the belts I was planning on using three altogether. 1) engine to mid pulley 2)mid pulley to 1st tranny 3) 1st tranny to 2nd tranny. on the 1st tranny I an planning on welding two pulley together. Like Dan said, I'm going to use an Ideler pulley with a spring to keep tention on the belt. I think it will be fine with the twisting of the rear ends, they only go so far. Like any off the wall fabercation......trail and error! lol Thanks for all your kind works and excitment. This is going to be a fun project. I just hope I can get it done in time to show it off at a show this spring/summer. Elon

Elon that's a neat project! It looks like you've got everything coming together real good. A dump bed would be great on that chassis Elon but if you do, make sure the frame is really beefed up to handle the load. Now who's going to do one with two Sunstrand hydro units? Or maybe an articulated all wheel drive using hydro power and two hydraulic cylinders for steering. Time to start dreaming again!

That looks purdy neat! Are you going to put the hi lo unit on the side of the transimission like the older 2 speed Broadmoors had? That would be one neat rig with more than two speeds. Keep up the good work.