Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lombardini 2 cylinder diesel

B.Ikard

I have a friend that does a lot of heavy equipment repair and was prowling around his shop......seems he has an air cooled 2 cylinder Lombardini diesel pulled from a Massey Ferguson that supposedly runs-thats all the info I have. It has the chrome muffler guard like the Simplicity 7790. This engine has a flywheel coupling that seems similar to the Simplicity shaft drive system so I believe it would fit a 7000 series. Also I could get this engine for a "yard sale" price as he owes me a favor or two and he has no use for the engine. I guess what I am asking is are these Lombardini diesels good engines? Anybody have lots of hours on one? As a diesel mechanic by trade I have worked on several small Italian built diesels from Ruggerini, Landini, and Acme motori and they were generally pretty sorry excuses for an engine-make that awful.....is the Lombardini any different? Any ideas, experiences, or advice will be appreciated, Ike

7790 bought new in 1985 with conservative estimate of 5000 hours of hard abuse on it. No problems. I had to replace one injector because of malfunction a few years ago. I replaced it with a used injector. Two years ago I replaced both injectors with new just because. With regular and normal care these are as dependable as anything out there.

Maynard, How good is the parts support for these engines-don't remember seeing many Lombardini dealers around? I'm guessing the parts are very expensive as is the case with most diesels. Does the engine shake the tractor real bad at idle? Ike

Parts are available thru Lombardini (link in resources) The engines are used in refer units on refrigerated trailers. yes parts can be expensive. The injectors were $180.00 each. A tune up consists of change the oil, (I use Synthetic diesel grade) clean oil filter, replace fuel filter, clean or replace air filters (foam & paper). My paper filter lasted 18 years but 98% of its use was in winter blowing snow (no dust). The engines do shake at idle when cold but are mounted on 3 rubber mounts. When mine starts I crack the throttle just a little and it runs fairly smooth.

Check those rubber mounts also. I have replaced mine, because they separated. Something about that diesel sound, and the smoke, makes you accept a little shake.

C.F. Struck Corp. in Cedarburg Wisconsin still installs as an option on it's crawler tractors the Lombardini Diesel. I asked them this summer about parts availability and they told me it takes some time to get parts for it, most people don't have a problem with it though. The salesman said it is a 4 month lead time to get the engines from Italy. Todd Martin

Too bad nobody in the US makes a dependable small deisel that we can use. I know if they did it would be costly, but I still wish there was more avaliabilty since the market is growing.

I don't know why we won't develop a small diesel here in the US either. I saw a few 2-53 and 2-71 Detroit Diesel engines but it has been a long time ago. These were considerably heavier than the European aluminum diesel. I do have 2 7kw Onan generators with the little air cooled Onan built diesel and these are antiques too. Had thought about fitting one in a 7000 series if I ever get a project tractor. Ike

I think Maynard may have identified the way to make the Lombardini survivable. Since I got my 7790, I also got another Lombardini core from a repowered 7790. Both engines have problems due to apparent overheating, particularly the front cylinder. It looks like a lack of basic service in not regularly cleaning the cooling fins and air cleaner service. This would be more of a problem in a mowing tractor which apparently both of these tractors were. They are designed to be completely rebuilt to 0 hours. Replaceble valve guides and seats, rod bearing inserts, borable and replaceable cylinder jugs. Parts are pricey though. I'll post some pictures of the internals when I get a chance.

Those Lombardini's are just about as dependable as any thing. I JUST HAVE ONE WARNING!!! They don't do well if you run them of into the pond.......I Guess nothing would:) About a year ago my brother did this to his and it didn't survive very well! ...still runs but smokes like a freight train!!! KohlerMan

We had some new Almond light plants at work last year that had a sweet looking little 3 cyl desiel in them. Figured it was a Kobota at first but found stamped in the block ' detroit/Cummins. Thought about putting one in my lunch box for the 4040 but dad jumpped up and slapped me up long side the head.

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
Detriot and cumins are big industry rivals. Thats the first I've heard of them doing anything together.
Detroit and Cummins have not done any joint ventures. I have worked and am working for a Detroit Diesel distributor for forty something years and that has not even got remotely close to the horizon.

' Detroit and Cummins have not done any joint ventures.' Hmmm, you guys got me questioning my memory now. I know it was two unlikely sounding names to see cast into an engine block. Chasing an opertunaty to go back to that froozen he** early next month so maybe I'll get too look again.