Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Goodbye Vickers

maxtorman1234

I was plowing snow the other day, and went in for a break. Came out and saw 2 different couloured oil spots on the ground. I knew one was the transmission, but the other turned out to be the BGB leaking oil. I took the bgb out and put new bearings and seals in it today. Also got fed up with the vickers, and I have another that apparantly dosent leak, but another member still has to get it to me. Anyways I couldnt wait, so I have a spare sunstrand that looks like it will drop right in. I'll post pictures when I get it finished.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Pretty handy having lots of spare 'junk' laying around.
Hey, my shop resembles that remark......;):D:D

John, it'd be tough to loose a trans. But I've missplaced whole tractors before.lol Good luck Graham. I know you can do it, might just take a little time.

It is not that I can't find what I need, I just forget that I even have it:I I would hate to think what I would have If I had more than I have now;) Dan

I talk about my shop. Becky calls it my junk pile. If I could get her stuff and the boys' stuff outta there, it would actually be pretty clean. Most of my parts are outside, rusting.

I've managed to store all my parts inside, some are in the garage, a pile in the old van, and a couple frames in my uncles old barn. I have everything hooked up and linkage is fine, just used the parts originally on on the vickers, just a minor setback with the sunstrand trans not workingB) I find out after I get it all together. What a bummer. Guess i'll have to tear it apart, and see why the axle won't turn. It looks all original, I kept the original vickers controls on the tractor, and the linkage works great, i wll have full forward and full reverse. Pretty handy to know those leaky vickers can be replaced with a good sunstrand:) [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/dscf0037.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/dscf0040.jpg[/img]

I know its not the releif valves, as the trans is like it's locked in gear. It will not roll at all. Also it sounds like a gear rattling around in there when it's running.

The rear end will act like it is locked in gear and the wheels will not turn if the relief valves are stuck. Clean around them real good spray with carb or break cleaner then remove them and clean them. Be extra carefull not to get any dirt into the fitting holes. I would try this before putting the cart before the horse and taking the differential apart for no reason.

I had a tractor that sounded like that. Ended up that several of the bolts in the differential were broken. I replaced about 5-6 bolts and then it worked like new. Maybe worth checking.

Even though I have converted this tractor to a sunstrand, I have now bought all the parts(sideplates, ect) and a rebushed vickers from club members, that I need to make my 12HP 410S a hydro. I must admit, I really did like that vickers.