Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

charging trouble

Mowingman

last march the engine was out of the AC homelite for repairs ( a bolt got under the engine cover and did major damage) and welded some cracks on the frame. It doesn't charge, and the generator is hooked up right and recently redone; my guess is that the regulator or the wires to the generator were fried. the generator was removed for welding, the regulator was not. should I redo the regulator or buy a new one, and to replace it, where could I get a new one?

Hi, Go to our site edensltd.com and click on the tech notes. There are some articles there on this. I would ground the F term of the starter gen and if it charges when wide open, I would go to an electronics supply company and get a General Cement GC9338 contact burnishing tool. Disconnect the battery and remove the regulator cover. CAREFULLY run the tool between the contacts on the voltage section of the regulator. Be careful not to bend or in any change the tension on the contacts. See if that doesn't fix it. Al Eden

quote:
Originally posted by Mowingman
last March I had the engine out of the homelite for repairs ( some flywheel fins got broke off- dont ask how) and welded some cracks on the frame. the starter/ generator was off the tractor, but the voltage regulator was still hooked up and now I can't get it to charge}:) do I need to get a new regulator? No, the generator is not hooked up wrong, if I've checked it once I've checked it a hundred times.
If you wired the generator as per the Simplicity Large Frame Tractor repair manual, be advised the manual is WRONG.

Is there any way the regulator could of over-heated from welding to close??? Or you could have fryed it with electrical current from welding??? Hope this helps... KohlerMan

quote:
Originally posted by KohlerMan
Is there any way the regulator could of over-heated from welding to close??? Or you could have fryed it with electrical current from welding??? Hope this helps... KohlerMan
perhaps, the welding was done in the engine area adn we have a pretty good voltage welder.

Electrical Systems is a new series of articles written by Al Eden [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/service/electrics/electrical_systems.htm[/url] Polarizing a new regulator? [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=37322&SearchTerms=polarize,regulator[/url]