Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Key Kicking

dirtsaver

Bobs'(ka9bxg) post asking which side of your tractor you get on from got me to thinking about a problem I have. When getting on or off my 3012V I seem to hit the ignition key with my size 10 1/2 clodhopper. I've broken a couple of keys already. This never happens on the older model B's or the 17GTH-L due to the placement of the switch on the dash. Any one else have this problem?

So far I'm still able to swing my foot over the seat so I don't have the problem. Guess when I can't do that anymore I'll have to get one of these new easy access models.

My 3310v.... havent broken the key yet but I'm sure it will happen at some point. Since I havent put the snow cab on that tractor, it isn't as bad. Last winter I must have hit it hundreds of times. Elon

That's why the recessed them into a cup in the dash on the 3100 and 3200-series and the later B-100 and B-200 Allis tractors...

My B112 had the key broken off in the ignition when I got it from my brother and I can see if your not careful you could hit the key and bend it...

Hey Guys ! When you do break the key off,what are your options to get the piece out of the cylinder?? I kinda know that this is not one of my uaualy "stupid " questions,as many have been there befor me.And Yes ! I did it last week to my landlord,I have been using a small screwdriver to turn the switch.I would like to keep the switch,it is an original.I tried a small pick to try to pull it out ,but no go. Any other way then to take the switch apart??( if thats possible} Thanks Again.

EZDUZIT. Use a toothpick or a small rod. Place a single drop of super glue on the end of it and carefully stick to the piece of broken off key, then let it dry before pulling the broken piece out. Be careful and do not use too much of the super glue, because if you smear it in the wrong place, it may never come out. I have used that technique on several things that I could not get hold of.

If no "home remedies" will get the broken key out, you may have to remove the switch and take it to a local locksmith. I only suggest that beacause of experience!!! I broke a key and could not get it out and they could. hdrhdr

Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only "bigfoot" around here! But now I'm concerned because I'm not as gracefull as some of the ballet dancers in the club ;^). LOL! And by the way folks. Happy New Year!!

The key was busted on my B112 when I got it , I used a sharp knife point to pry out the old key. I found a couple of old keys that I could file down to the same pattern as the Briggs key. Works fine now , just have to be careful when getting on and off. My boats are size 11.5 wide so I have more to get out of the way!

I think I'm going to start taking a screen out of a second story window and mounting my tractor the way cowboys did in the old westerns. Who's with me?

When I bought my AC B-110 the key was broken off. There was enough of the key sticking out to put a pair of pliers on and pull the broken key out.;) Karl

My youngest son got a bead stuck in his ear (don't ask how!). I used a "Q-tip with the cotton removed and a drop of super glue to remove it. It saved a trip to the emergency room. I think it should work on a key also.

Hi I have not had a key break on me yet, however one of my keys is pretty bent but still starts my 1920H.Luckly I have three other keys that are in great shape so I use them instead of my bent key. I have not yet seen a key for a Garden tractor broke but know of keys breaking just from customers at my local Simplicity dealer. Take Care Jason B

Thats how the kep broke off in the ignition on my grandpa's 3012. He kept kicking it when getting off and on, bending it and finally one day it broke off in the ignition.

With a size 14 boot, swinging over the tractor is the only way for me to get on. But i try to take the key out and hang it on the throttle lever by a key chain before getting off to prevent breaking one off in the cylinder. I don't do it everytime I get off/on, but try to.

Rollin that's a trick idea! a piece of sash chain run over to the steering colum would prevent the key from vibrating out when trailering to jobs or shows too. and you'd never have to wonder where you'd put the key when you go to use the tractor.

Broken scroll saw blades are great for removing broken keys from locks. If you know someone in the woodworking hobby they will have some old blades that will work fine.

Haven't kicked a key yet BUT I have kicked my light switch toggle off three times last year on the SunRunner. I bought a flat rocker style last time and hopefully it won't happen next summer anymore.