Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

5020 power (More ??)

D-17_Dave

Anyone have any experiance with a diesel 5015 with the 60" deck. I'd like to know how a 15hp diesel handled the deck under heavy load. I know the diesels torqe better but does it really handle the pull and hold enough rpm to trough the grass good when loaded.

this may or may not help but I have a 16hp Kubota with a 54" mower and it does quite well unless you let the grass get too high and try to go too fast. keep the blades sharp and cut the grass often and it should work fine for you.

I'm not looking to get one, just looking for some comparison as to deisel hp verses gas hp. I know what my 620's 20 Onan will do and I was wondering what the nominal hp rating would be if I went with a deisel for it. I'm thinking I would want to step up a few ponies and go with a deisel I'd end up hunting about a 23-25 hp 3-cyl. Kinda figured that would be all I could cram under the hood anyway. Still nothing wrong with my Onan, but I figured I'd start looking now. I just got an electric clutch w/1-7/16" shaft input sp I can now use the old 23 Kohler or the performer 24 I have lying around. But I'm afraid of the gas consumtion in the long run.

Hi, We sold some of them with the 54"deck and they did quite well with that. I was not aware that you could get the 60" under the 5015. I have only seen them under a 5020. I have run a Woods rm 59 on the back of a 9518/5015 and it got along OK in regular lawn grass. Keep in mind Farmall Cubs had a 9 hp 60 cu in 4 cyl Continental and they ran 60s, but were no ball of fire. My 2 cents worth, its free, value accordingly. Al Eden

Hi, I meant to add these are really tough, long lived cheap running little tractors. I have seen the 9523.5020s with 8000 hours on and no major repairs. Al Eden

Al, when I asked I thought the 5015 was the same as the 5020 just a smaller engine. So I guese this is not the case. I would ask the same ? of the 5020, how does it handle the 60" deck. Will it power on trough heavy grass without bogging down, or does the bottom fall out. I've noticed on my 620 as long as the deck can stay revved up and discharge the exess grass it'll power on through. But if I hit it too hard and the engine pulls down, slowing the blades it takes awhile for it to recover unless I back off the hydro and let it catch up. I'll conceed that when I reringed my cckb I should have knurled the guids and done the valves as they are a little loose. However the 20 still performs rather well. I do push it pretty hard and the tractor could use few extra ponies.

Hi, The 5020 is a 23 hp 2 cyl. You won't have a problem with it. Its just like the energizer bunny, just feed it grass and go. It plays with the 60. Al Eden